Gaaaah! Time out error on every server, no matter what I do

Guest ssjman

And yes, I did read the readme file, I tried connecting ingame, I tried selecting other servers, I tried simply reconnecting...NO MATTER WHAT I DO after 5 to 10 seconds, I get the message "You have been disconnected from the server!" Do you know how annoying it is with the fact that you can only go about 20 feet before you get kicked? I tried other servers, restarting, it doesn't work. I have cable, and I'm on a LAN with a cheapo router, and my specs (As if they'd help) are:

Amd Athlon XP 2000+

Radeon 9100 128

512 megs of DDR RAM

20 GB Hard Drive

Windows 98 SE (No, I'm not going to get XP)

Any help? So far I've restarted, tried connecting while ingame, simply reconnecting, tried about 20 other servers so far, and always it'll disconnect after 10 seconds.

Oh, did I mention my firewall cannot be turned off? :roll: I think it's built in with my LAN card or my router..

i have the same problem but if you start your own server you can hold about 15/20 people with no problem 8)

Did I mention that I'm behind a firewall that I can't turn off so even if I made a server, no one would be able to see it or connect to it? Rofl...

i run win98se and have the exact same problem. When i connect the other players aren't moving or they teleport to other places. 10 seconds later it disconnects and says timed out. My connection is cable 1.5/384 so it's not the bandwidth. I'm also not behind a firewall or router so that isn't the problem. Someone in #mta suggested i switch from using an NIC to connecting my modem through USB to solve it. Anyone have this problem with 98se/USB modem?