Can U edit gta world objects

hello all :D

i was just wondering if i will be able to edit / move objects that are part of the game when the map editor comes out

i want to be able to cause bridges to collapse and make buildings collapse as well

i know i can put my own objects into the world and mess with them but will it be possible to change things that are made by the game itself

thanx for any replys :D

that is kind of what i thought

i remember someone saying in a post about MTA not modifying the executable or game files in any way because then it would be illegal :shock:

damn shame though

im trying to make a series of disasters ( plane crash / earthquake / tornado / flood ) for a race but it is proving to be very time consuming placing all the objects with a map editor i have downloaded and i am forced to make my own island when what i wanted was to collapse an existing city as u race through it forcing u to race across rooftops as they collapse and the disasters happen . sort of inspired by STUNTMAN on PS2 + XBOX360

back to the drawing board i guess. if i do ever manage to make it i will be sure to post it on resources but it has taken 3 days just to setup the first 18 buildings and get them to collapse in the way i want and im not sure how close i might get to the object limit but we shall see

thanx for the quick reply ACE_GAMBIT :D

I don't think they will ever implement that because it could possibly violate copyrights.

What? That would be just a little modification run by server. Why would it violate copyrights?

I think editing GTA world objects would be good. For example, you could open/close garage doors that are map objects, but still can be opened/closed in single player.

What? That would be just a little modification run by server. Why would it violate copyrights?

I think editing GTA world objects would be good. For example, you could open/close garage doors that are map objects, but still can be opened/closed in single player.

You are talking about already scripted features in the GTA engine. He's talking about modifying parts of the GTA world that probably requires interference with the original files which is against the license agreement. MTA is legal because it does not alter any GTA files. I don't know exactly how MTA works but my best guess is that the current architecture doesn't even allow these kinds of changes.

You are talking about already scripted features in the GTA engine. He's talking about modifying parts of the GTA world that probably requires interference with the original files which is against the license agreement. MTA is legal because it does not alter any GTA files. I don't know exactly how MTA works but my best guess is that the current architecture doesn't even allow these kinds of changes.

Oh, I only saw "move" and not "edit" objects. But this is already possible - just replace DFF file with another...

Oh, I only saw "move" and not "edit" objects. But this is already possible - just replace DFF file with another...

MTA uses Modular programming methodologies. It does not change any GTA files and like Ace has already said it would be illegal(by copyright laws) to do so. Operations like opening/closing.. moving..objects are part of the GTA engine and can be accessed by MTA without the changing any of the files. "replacing" is possible because it is not changing the file, its just displaying a new custom model to the client based on the replacing objects ID so the GTA engine will load it. That feature alone may make it possible to make something appear to be destroyed by allowing custom animations with a custom world object when a certain event takes place..only time will tell if this will become available.

Doomed_Space_Marine when u say

just replace DFF file could u tell me how to do this.

i have a couple of things i want to do that this would really help with but im unsure as to how to find and edit the DFF files for GTA

would it really be possible to move already existent buildings and bridges ( :D:D it would make me VERYYYYY HAPPYY :D:D )

thanx for any reply

EDIT ::

before i found MTA i used something called IMGTOOL 2.0 to change DFF and TXD files for the single player game so i could add new vehicles. i was wondering if i would have to do the same sort of thing for objects. sorry if dumb question but im really not sure where to begin. :D

^^ the only way i can think of doing that is replace the model for the bridges with a blank one (or a small one which no one will notice) with the engine client side scripting functions then replace an unused model with the bridge and put it where you want it

theres plenty of unused models about in gta but if you can't find any you could also stream the mods to the client when he gets near and remove them when he is further away

but all this is only really possible in dp3 because the functions seem a little buggy at the moment :S

thanx for the reply

i was just trying to use IMGTOOL to mess with the DFF files but i dont know how to edit them

i tryed using NOTEPAD ++ / notepad normal / and wordpad but they dont seem to like the file

any ideas what i should use. i realize i wont be able to do much until DP3 but it will probably take me a while to figure this out so i thought i would start now. my main problem is not knowing where to start. i assume that all the world objects are in an.IMG file the same as the vehicles ( i found one in the GTA SA directory and i think its what i need ) but im not sure what i need to change and how. for example if i wanted to collapse a bridge would i need to make the collision for the original bridge really tiny so it wont interfere with my bridge and then maybe change the TXD file to something that u cant see and then build my bridge in its place so i can do what i want with it.

my apologies if im being annoying with all these questions but i think it will lead to something pretty special if i ever mange to finish it.

THANX FOR L :roll: KIN

^^ the only way i can think of doing that is replace the model for the bridges with a blank one (or a small one which no one will notice) with the engine client side scripting functions then replace an unused model with the bridge and put it where you want it

theres plenty of unused models about in gta but if you can't find any you could also stream the mods to the client when he gets near and remove them when he is further away

but all this is only really possible in dp3 because the functions seem a little buggy at the moment :S

This is not possible because the GTA world is not the same as the MTA world. Changing the object model in the MTA world does not have any effect on objects with the same model in the GTA world.

• 2 weeks later...

There are no legality issues here. Its just not possible to remove the real world buildings. Also, as ace_gambit correctly said, the engine functions only replace MTA created objects.

The nearest you can do at this time is use interior worlds to clear the whole of SA, but you cant take out particular parts of it.

TALIDAN when you say use interiors what exactly do u mean ( i have never messed with interiors before ). if it is really complicated dont worry to much about a reply but if its not to complex could u give me an idea of how i would do this. i have read a few threads about warping into interiors and other people using them for bank / food / and mod shop scripts but i dont really know what u do with them ( or even how to find them ).

He basically means that by using an interior, you won't have (m)any GTA specific objects so you can construct objects freely. Similar to just building a new map of objects out in the sea areas. You're not gonna be able to do your original aim - manipulation of real world GTA objects.

TALIDAN when you say use interiors what exactly do u mean ( i have never messed with interiors before ). if it is really complicated dont worry to much about a reply but if its not to complex could u give me an idea of how i would do this. i have read a few threads about warping into interiors and other people using them for bank / food / and mod shop scripts but i dont really know what u do with them ( or even how to find them ).

Try to set your interior to something else then 0 and you will see there will be no buildings (city buildings, roads, trees, etc.) visible, that's because they are all in the interior of 0.

thanx guys thats pretty cool

ill see what i can do :D

EDIT ::: just had a quick look at the wiki and INTERIORS resource. i think this might be a bit out of my league at the moment. couldnt see an example / function for interiors on the wiki so i think i will just keep waiting for DP3 map editor and ill build an island somewhere.

EDIT 2::: sorry i have found the interiors example on the wiki now :oops: