F9 Menu Help file no worka

DazzaJay

Basically, i have written a help.xml and so on to run in my server that shows server info in the F9 Help box.... problem is, it does not work...

http://files.potholestudios.com/Server_Rules.zip

that is the link to it, the only thing i can think of is that the Help.xml is too big for MTA to handle.

any ideas?

and if it is becuse there is somthing as moronic as a character limit in Helpmanager, what is the limit?

Within an hour!?

take a closer look at the times... one says AM one says PM....

to be precice... 13 hours. not 1.

and yes, i did search.... about 14 hours ago.... i got a mysql error.

and also, that thread does not awnser my question of Why this isnt working.

also, it has nothing about the Character limit.

i know it must be a character limit, because i have made help for other small things before and they have all worked.

So... i will say it again, What is the Character Limit!?

we need more information, does pressing f9 do anything at all? does it bring up a blank box? if no,is the box only partially filled with text?

the character limit of memo's themselves is 65535, however from my experience there is a pretty low character limit in the helpmanager (possibly a limit the with xml functions?) but in those cases it always just showed the maximum possible text and cut off the rest

Are you sure you have helpmanager on your server? It should be running by default so you don't have to include it.

You should obviously try changing the help text to a sentence or something and see if it shows up. I'm not home right now but I think you're right there is a limit with the generic help tab.

Its good to see that the MTA community is as helpfull as ever.

You know that doesn't encourage people ?

Anyhow, you've got a weird issue. The two "&" (ampersands) in the document are screwing it up ... partially. If you take them out it works (for me), but cuts off after a chunk of text (1000 char limit ?). I don't know why it does that - the help file I have in my gamemode is way longer than yours (matron).

If you take them out it works (for me), but cuts off after a chunk of text (1000 char limit ?). I don't know why it does that - the help file I have in my gamemode is way longer than yours (matron).

I had the same issue... my text was cut off but when i took out the last 5 lines it was even longer than the cutted off one but somehow it worked.

Its good to see that the MTA community is as helpfull as ever.

You know that doesn't encourage people ?

well, to be precise, i said it to get a responce, no insult was intended or anything, but it did get a responce, as i have noticed that people love to prove others wrong (this includes myself)

so therefore by saying that the MTA community are no help - got a responce of people trying to help - for the reason of trying to prove my comment wrong, most of the time by the subconcious mind.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

and for info .. i press F9 it only has the standard stuff in there, as if my script is not running attall.

as for you mr hankey, the 12hour system is simple, before midday (0 to 12) its AM, and after midday (13 - 24) its PM, except instead of having the 13 onwards, it starts from 1 again, so just think of an analog clock, at the 12, it starts all over again.

Firestarter, go right ahead, if you can get it to work with your edit, if it works, can you post your help file so i can see how long it is and if special characters were used. thanks.

Brophy, i remember back in the days just after race came out, a reply to any thread took under 10 minutes, i guess im just not used to the fact that everyone left to play samp.

Ransom, yes i have helpmanager, it is runny by default, when i press F9 i get the CTV rules and so on, but no tab for my server rules script, as if it isnt even running, (and ive checked made sure its running and so on)

---------------------------------

but yeah, the text is not cut off or anything, it just acts like its not there attall.

It won't work - but it'll at least show some text if you remove the two ampersands. As I said before, I've no idea why it's then chopping the text off - I have a help file longer that doesn't.

To add : have you tried coding the help in as opposed to an XML file ? Thinking about it, I don't use the help managers auto-load of a "help.xml" file but do it in code instead like :

helpTab = call(getResourceFromName("helpmanager"), "addHelpTab", getThisResource(), true) 
guiCreateMemo ( 0.05, 0.05, 0.9, 0.9,"lots of boring text that nobody ever reads",true, helpTab) 

Maybe the reader for the XML help is bugged but the manual method isn't ?

well i tried the help but it was cut off, i had a help.xml before, it wasnt cut off but this one is and it is same like my other one (only the text is different), and here it is, the cut off version of mine:D

<help>Server Rules  
----------------------------------------- 

OFFICIAL FSGTA5 SERVER 

Servers Website: [url=http://WWW.FSGTA5.TK]http://WWW.FSGTA5.TK[/url] 
Admin Email: [email protected] 

RULES: 

1. NO CHEATING  
Have fun BUT DO NOT CHEAT, if you cheat you will get warnings and get bannd after some warnings 

2. help each other  
If there is a newbie and he asks for help, help him so he can help other and that makes the server funnyer so all ppl know how to play and have fun while they are on the server 

3. Dont complain! 
Do not complain about scripts or something, an example, THE OTHER SERVER HAVE THIS WHY DONT YOU HAVE IT, THIS SERVER IS CRAP. this is a typical complainment but if you have a suggestion you can say it but in a nicer way 

4. Respect all 
Respect all ppl who is playing and dont swear to them or dont talk rubbish, we also dont want other daily problems at the server, we are here to have fun and play with our friends. 

5. Have fun  
We expect that you do try to have as much fun as possible 
keeping in mind that this is a game and that you maintain a respectful relationship with all other players regardless as to race, creed, color, origin or attitude. 
Tip: Lead by example if others see that you are having fun they will want to be part of that fun too. 

6. Do Not spam the chat 
Do not Spam the chat with noncense, Do not write with Caps ON, Do not spam your Map vote into the chat. 
If you disobey these rules you will be Muted. 

7. Language 
You are only allowede to speak English, Swedish and Finnish, plz follow this rule or get muted if you are annoying. 

</help> 

lol, i dont know what the prob is but maby it is a developement problem, maby it will get solved on DP3? i hope so :D

but yeah, the text is not cut off or anything, it just acts like its not there attall.

It's the two ampersands that stop it showing - take them out and it truncates the text.

i dont think its & is making the problem cuz i dont have any of those but it get cut off anyway

i dont think its & is making the problem cuz i dont have any of those but it get cut off anyway

That wasn't what I was saying - the two ampersands in the original help file stopped it showing at all (for me). When I removed them, THEN I got truncated text.

ok, i got it working, thanks for pointing it out that the "&" characters as being the problem.

i have also found a rough character limit.

1044 characters is a rough limit....

sometimes it will alow 1053, but not allways.

and heres what my rules thing looks like now....

<help>Server Website: [url=http://www.potholestudios.com/mta]http://www.potholestudios.com/mta[/url] 
Server Teamspeak: 66.79.171.237:8767 
Admin Email: [email protected] 
================ 

Rules: 

1. NO CHEATING! 
Cheaters will recive an immediate IP ban, Serial ban and kick from the server, No Warnings No Excuses. 

2. No Arseholes. 
Don't flame any other player. Don't abuse any other player. Don't Threaten any other player. just Dont be a cunt, Simple. 

3. Be Original. 
Don't join with your Nick as ANY of the Games Characters, Anyone using these Names will be Kicked. 

4. Dont Dis-Respect Anyone. 
Dis-respect somone and recive a warning, continue and recive a kick, rejoin and contine and you will recive a ban. 

5. Have fun! 
We want you to have as much fun as possible, isnt that what a game is for? 

6. Don't spam the chat. 
Don't TYPE IN ALL CAPS, Don't spam your Map vote into the chat. 
Disobey this rule, Recive a kick. 

7. SPEAK ENGLISH. 
Speak English, and only clear English. 
Don't speak 1337, gangsta or idiot. if you talk like a moron, you will be kicked. 
</help> 

lets just say beforehand the rules were like 4X as long (with in-depth explenation behind each rule).. looked a lot more like this page: http://www.potholestudios.com/Content/pid=12.html

any way to lift the character limit in Helpmanager?