VISTA FIX: reporting a solution

TommyLR

I just wanna report a solution I found to play MTA correctly...

on the release day I tryed all the solution I found on this board and noone fixed the freezing problem.

Today I wanted to try again with an other procedure and the game started successfully.

HowTo:

-Right Click on Multi Theft Auto.exe, compatibility, Win 95 (that's right), apply.

-Right Click on GTA_SA.exe, compatibility, Win XP SP2, apply.

-Run MTA, as an Administrator, now you should not freeze.

-Settings -> video -> unflag all.

-Reboot MTA and join a server.

If u don't do the fourth step you may crash on joining a server.

Hope this can help all the Vista users who gave up trying to play Multi Theft Auto! Enjoy.

PS. I got a 1GB Core2Duo PC with an ATI x1550 graphic card...

1. Right Click on Multi Theft Auto.exe, compatibility, Win 95 (that's right), apply.

lol - You don't need to do that since MTA is compatibility with Vista. All you need to do is to make sure that GTA: San Andreas has compatibility set to "Windows XP SP2" or turned off.

2. Right Click on GTA_SA.exe, compatibility, Win XP SP2, apply.

That is all that was required for this thread.

3. Run MTA, as an Administrator, now you should not freeze.

You don't have to. When you install any OS, you are already an admin. This is only necessary if you are using a Standart/Limited user account. Plus I have UAC disabled on my Vista, anyway.

4. Settings -> video -> unflag all.

OMG! All settings enabled work absolutely fine for me!

5. Reboot MTA and join a server.

Makes sense after people do your "Step #2" above.

Wrong...

Lovely, but the graphics card?

Advice: Whenever you want to post accurate solutions, go by the "Destroy & Conquer" method and troubleshoot logically. This will get rid of a lot of unwanted opinions that weren't even the cause of the problem. All that we had to do was to set the comaptibility of San Andreas to either "off" or "Windows XP".

Only solution to get it to work on Ultimate? I run it on Ultimate, even the 64 bit version just fine without any fix or whatsoever applied.. Sorry to hear for some of you freezing but he was just telling you that your post was incorrect for most of us and you tell him to stfu..

I've found a fix for me, and I reported it on the forum. What's wrong with this? Lucky u that works without this procedure, but I know that surely many other people is trying to get it working.

EDIT: I run a x32 version, and u an x64 so maybe this is the difference between us....

You don't have to. When you install any OS, you are already an admin. This is only necessary if you are using a Standart/Limited user account.

No, you are wrong. I think you dont´t get for what is UAC for. So just let it turned off just for having less trouble in installing stuff. :)

Guy, you are still not getting it! I am an experienced computer user, I know what I am talking about.

I can not believe this.

I believe "Run As Administrator" will avoid the UAC message from popping up if it is enabled. If you don't "Run As Administraor", then all you have to do is to choose "Continue" in the UAC dialog box.

I can not believe this.

Clearly you haven't seen the other threads I have made before.

No, you are wrong.

You don't have to "Run As Administrator" because you have the option of accepting by "continuing".

READ -> http://vistasupport.mvps.org/run_as_administrator.htm (Admins don't have to run as administraotor).

then all you have to do is to choose "Continue" in the UAC dialog box.

Yes, thats right. I missunderstood you. You don´t perform any action automatically as an admin, even if you are logged in as an admin. So you have to choose "continue" as you said. But this is the same as "run as an admin"!

You don't have to "Run As Administrator" because you have the option of accepting by "continuing".

In my opinion, you will not be asked for "continue as an admin" when you start any software. Even if you installed the programm as an admin (there you will be ased for continuing), this don´t means that you run it automatically as an admin every time.

And I did forget a very important smiley, cause my "don´t believe this" was not meant to provoke you. But I am so sure I clicked a smiley.......:(

Anyway. I believe him when he says thats the only solution for him. This could be caused by a bug in any kind of software or drivers. When you say you are experienced in computer, you will agree with me that sometime things on computer-system are going strange due to unknown issues caused by almost unlimited variations of PC-systems. :roll:

Alright, which is better:

More graphics and a working MTA:DM by only setting the compatibility of San Andreas to Windows XP

or

Less graphics and a working MTA:DM by doing all this:

-Right Click on Multi Theft Auto.exe, compatibility, Win 95 (that's right), apply.

Wouldn't you want to choose the one that only requires one edit, gives you more features, and achieves similar results? :roll:

I believe him when he says thats the only solution for him

No! That's not the *only* solution for him if he would just listen to what I have to say and do it.

on the release day I tryed all the solution I found on this board and noone fixed the freezing problem.

Today I wanted to try again with an other procedure and the game started successfully.

HowTo:

Hope this can help all the Vista users who gave up trying to play Multi Theft Auto! Enjoy.

works a treat tommy. cheers for that ;)

HowTo:

works a treat tommy. cheers for that ;)

ty

HowTo:

TY works fine for my vista home premium :D:wink:

• 3 weeks later...

HowTo:

TY works fine for my vista home premium :D:wink:

of course it does.

i am with ring of fire you dont have do nothing! :wink:

the developers says then MTA:DM will be compatible with Windows Vista! :wink:

so you dont will do that

im have Windows Vista Home Basic and works fine :)

PD: sry for the bad english :|

Yes, i reinstalled windows vista and it worked fine without this procedure.

But I also noticed that a lot of ppl were unsuccessfully trying to get it working, and me myself had problems to get it working.