Updated tutorial scripts

norby89

the ones on the main page are a bit outdated, you can download the up to date versions here, in case you're wondering where's #4 and #9, well one is hay which is included in dp1 and the other was take down from the site

PS) I gave them a quick try, they seem to be working though I can't guarantee that they work 100% fine, if you spot any errors please post them here :)

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi, i have a question:

The Snow are don´t want to fall down, there stay in the air but get updated positions and so on - only the z-axis don´t changes.

I tries already a little bit to repair it - but nothing happens.

Also i have to remember that the snow are server side, and the functions gets launches many many times in one second - can that be good for the latency?

i think it would be better to script it Client-side. What do you think?

But the main question is why the flakes doesn't fall down.

PS: Its script2_lua.lua in the rar archive

XetaQuake

Sorry for this new Post, but the snow script in script2_lua.lua does not work correctly: The Snow flakes doesn't fall down, there stay in the air.

I also tries some kinds, but for my eyes, everything is right.

Here is the script, so you don´t need to download it:

snowflake = {}      --This initializes the snowflake IDs table 
flakeID = 1     --This sets the first flake ID as 1 
updaterate = 27     --Positions' update rate in miliseconds 
height = 4      --Snowflakes starting position above the player's head 
snowing = false     --This is a variable that tells the script whether it is snowing or not. 

function snow_SnowCommand ( player, commandname, radius, density, speed, size ) --You can pass radius, density, speed and flake size parameters in the command 
    if not snowing then --check the 'snowing' variable and check if it is true. If it is not then it is not snowing 
        snowing = true --set the snowing variable to true 
        snow_CreateSnow ( player, radius, density, speed, size ) --call the snow_CreateSnow function to create our snow! 
        outputChatBox ( "Snow started by " .. getClientName ( player ) ) --announce that snowing was started. 
    else 
        snowing = false --set the snowing variable to false 
        outputChatBox ( "Snow stopped." ) --announce the snowing has stopped 
    end 
end 
addCommandHandler ( "snow", snow_SnowCommand )                              --This assigns the snow_SnowCommand function to the "snow" command in console 

function snow_CreateSnow ( player, radius, density, speed, size ) 
    local px, py, pz = getElementPosition ( player ) 
    --If player is invalid or has disconnected, stop the function 
    if not px or not py or not pz then 
        snowing = false 
        return  
    end 
    --If any parameter is not set, the script will give it a default value 
    if not radius then radius = 20 else radius = tonumber ( radius ) end 
    if not density then density = 3 else density = math.ceil ( tonumber ( density ) ) end   --density should be an integer (flakes/second) 
    if not speed then speed = 1.5 else speed = math.abs ( tonumber ( speed ) ) end      --speed should only be positive (units/second) 
    if not size then size = 0.15 else size = tonumber ( size ) end 

local counter = 0 
    --We will repeat the flake creating process one time per flake 
    while counter <= density do 
        --For x and y, we will calculate a random position around the player, within the maximum radius circle. 
        local angle = randInt ( 0, 359 ) 
        local fx = px + math.cos ( math.rad ( angle ) ) * radius * randFloat () 
        local fy = py + math.sin ( math.rad ( angle ) ) * radius * randFloat () 
        --z is just the player's height, plus the height we set before. 
        local fz = pz + height 
        snowflake[flakeID] = createMarker ( fx, fy, fz, "corona", size, 255, 255, 255, 150 ) 

--We calculate the time it takes for a flake to fall, in miliseconds 
        local time = 1000 * ( height + 1 ) / speed 
        --We tell the script to update the flake as many times as needed, and store the timer ID in a variable 
        setTimer ( snow_moveFlake, updaterate, math.floor ( time / updaterate ), flakeID, speed ) 
        --moveObject ( snowflake[flakeID], time, fx, fy, pz ) 
        --We set a timer to destroy the flake when the time has passed 
        setTimer ( snow_destroyFlake, time, 1, flakeID ) 

flakeID = flakeID + 1 
        counter = counter + 1 
    end 

--Repeat this function again in a second, if snow is still on 
    if snowing then setTimer ( snow_CreateSnow, 1000, 1, player, radius, density, speed, size ) end 
end 

function snow_moveFlake ( flakeID, speed ) 
    local fx, fy, fz = getElementPosition ( snowflake[flakeID] ) 
    setElementPosition ( snowflake[flakeID], fx, fy, fz - ( updaterate / 1000 * speed ) ) 
end 

function snow_destroyFlake ( flakeID ) 
    destroyElement ( snowflake[flakeID] ) 
    snowflake[flakeID] = nil 
end 

Can anybody help me? :)

To get it to run I had to do two things:

updaterate = 57     --Positions' update rate in miliseconds 

The previous rate of 27 seemed to not work at all - maybe the min interval for timers has changed over the lifetime of MTA ?

Also:

function snow_moveFlake ( flakeID, speed ) 
    if isElement(snowflake[flakeID]) then 
        local fx, fy, fz = getElementPosition ( snowflake[flakeID] ) 
        setElementPosition ( snowflake[flakeID], fx, fy, fz - ( updaterate / 1000 * speed ) ) 
    end 
end 

Without the isElement() check it seems to barf - maybe it's to do with my time interval change.

Anyhow, I really wouldn't use this script unless you make it client side. As it is, the server will be handling potentially hundreds of flakes and updating them multiple times per second.

the snow script was created when there was no client side script support, so it's not something you'd want to run on your server unless you make it client side

LOL. You are trying to say that there was no client script support prior to DP2 :lol: ? I wouldn't know because I came back from my internship and found out the DP version was up 2 already :lol: .

the snow script was created when there was no client side script support, so it's not something you'd want to run on your server unless you make it client side

LOL. You are trying to say that there was no client script support prior to DP2 :lol: ? I wouldn't know because I came back from my internship and found out the DP version was up 2 already :lol: .

In DP1 there was support for client scripts (gamemodes like Stealth use GUI). This script was written before any public releases.

In DP1 there was support for client scripts (gamemodes like Stealth use GUI). This script was written before any public releases.

indeed, it was one of the first tutorials on the site

@ xetaQuake: probably the best way would be to rewrite the whole script, you don't even need timers or all those calculations, it can be done a whole lot easier using onClientRender()

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...