Sandbox Project

What's the Sandbox project about?

Like the name says, the mod will be like a giant Sandbox where the community will have the power to make the city bigger or reconstruct any area of the map. The project starts with a small town with every infrastructure you see in a modern country town or small city.

The objective is to provide a roleplay community core, how the city evolves depends on the people that live within. Try to imagine a cross between GTA, Sim City and any Role Playing Game; this is what the project is all about, we want to give the community the power to create new infrastructures and new parts of the city while playing the game, the city will grow up with the community. This doesn’t mean that we will change the GTA game play; there will be gangs, and a whole organized crime world, but there will be normal people too, cars salesman, dock workers and a whole role of jobs to be played by any user.

But this doesn’t mean that we can have 50 mobsters and then a few normal users that just want to live their peaceful life in the Big Sandbox, no, we will impose a limit for everything related to jobs in the game, there will be a limit of gangs and a limit of users per faction.

Instead of adapting your roleplay theme to the map, we allow you to adapt the map to your theme. This means that if you're a business man or a big crime boss you can hire a construction company (usually represented by project developers) and build a new car stand or a bigger mansion for your crime activities. Once again, to keep things balanced, we'll impose

some construction rules. The height of your building will depend of the other ones around. You will be able to buy some lots for construction and then build anything allowed by the Mayor’s Office (again represented by developers), you will have to pay for each building or reconstruction that you make, the game will have its own economy this way.

We'll provide the basic infrastructures for the city like a Health Clinic, a Sheriff Departament, it'll be on your hands to update it to a hospital and to the city's police department. Anything added to the world will have to be approved by the Mayor’s Office (Dev team), there will be imposed limits for the number of vehicles that you can have/see in the world, this limits will be created so the mod looks more real.

We're currently planning most of the things out, but already started working on a part of the map:

shot1.jpg.xs.jpg shot2.jpg.xs.jpg

shot3.jpg.xs.jpg shot4.jpg.xs.jpg

shot5.jpg.xs.jpg shot6.jpg.xs.jpg shot7.jpg.xs.jpg

Our current team:

pt.pnguni ( Former GTA:New York dev )

.Project Leader // .Map Modeller

pt.pngCommando ( Former GTA:New York dev )

.Project Leader // .Map Modeller

ca.pngWizegui ( Former GTA:New York dev )

.Vehicle Modeller

pt.pngMeGaMeTaL

.Coder

us.pngMike

.Coder

Although we're obviously recruiting, we are also looking for people that currently play on RolePlay servers to give us input, suggestions.

You either can do that on our forums or at this thread. :)

It sounds quite cool to me, even though i'm not really interested about RPGs, but this sounds different so i might try it. :D

You're welcome to do so. :P

Interesting... one question, do you mind telling me what modeler you use?

We're using Max and Sketchup. ( contacted )

Seems cool to me, but i dont think people will play this seriously.

It's the same with other rp server, you need to let it grow.

Looks interesting, I'm excited to see where this goes.

Thanks. :)

Yeah, sounds cool but seems to be a :~ of a work... cant imagine how you want to realise that ;)

Just a matter of time really.

I really like this idea, it's really interesting (and I would love to build structures for people in game). Although I have 2 warnings about the idea:

-Hopefully you get enough people to play this mode because it would be hard with a small population (how many players does MTA support?)

-And I have played on an RP server in sa-mp and having an economy on a server is hard, especially if admins or hackers can creat money, but maybe this can be prevented :?

Hope this works out for you, and I might check it out when I can play regularly :D

I can allready see a potentiol problem in this.

- From my understanding, your saying that anyone can create objects and make their own city, how are you going to protect people from spawning, lets say a piece of moutain right in the middle of someone elses build?, some protection system needs to be put in place.

(I know this is a MASSIVE issue from previous mods i have made, a good example of this is Basebuilder for Medal Of Honor: Allied Assault which was a massive hit but you get the noobs that block doors or shove crap on other peoples forts etc)

Thats the only concern i have at the moment, but it looks very nice - keep up the good work!

Will have a lot system, you can't for example build a house in the middle of the road. After the map is designed we'll see each areas can have lots etc... about the second problem, not everyone will be able to build things. This will be a job for construction companies( modelers ), everyone can open his, although you 'll have to pass a kind of quality test, to unsure the map stays good and playable.

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, this is a pretty nice idea in theory, but I am a little unsure how it will be implemented in practice.. how do you plan on letting people import their own models in-game and then get them to the server to be approved? Or will it be limited to models already inside GTA (I'd guess not from reading the above).

Just curious ;)

there's a similar project called the 'Myriad Islands' I'm sure many of you have heard of it, it started many years ago back in VC and it still isn't finished

http://www.gtaforums.com/index.php?showforum=98

I'm just saying that doing a project like this involves a great amount of work and a lot of dedication, you can't just eat the fruit, first you have to plant the seed, watch the plant grow, water it regularly and if take good care of it you will receive a sweet fruit as a reward ;)

good luck!

I really like this idea, it's really interesting (and I would love to build structures for people in game). Although I have 2 warnings about the idea:

-Hopefully you get enough people to play this mode because it would be hard with a small population (how many players does MTA support?)

-And I have played on an RP server in sa-mp and having an economy on a server is hard, especially if admins or hackers can creat money, but maybe this can be prevented :?

Hope this works out for you, and I might check it out when I can play regularly :D

- Yeah we are aware of that, not sure but I think atm MTADM supports around 128 players?

- Atm we're still working on the concept of every system we want to have, economy will be hard tho...

Hello uni. Wow that's cool to see you back to modeling/modding !

I though i'd never see you again. That project looks good, ambitious, I wish you all the best for it, (why not post a topic on GTAF too ?)

Thanks ParoXum! They doesn't seem too mta friendly, and all the people that care are here so... :)

Yeah, this is a pretty nice idea in theory, but I am a little unsure how it will be implemented in practice.. how do you plan on letting people import their own models in-game and then get them to the server to be approved? Or will it be limited to models already inside GTA (I'd guess not from reading the above).

Just curious ;)

It's complicated but let me put explain this way. The residencial area of the maps is all free lots, you buy the lot number 1. Then you ask ingame or in the forums and you'll look for a construction company( keep in mind that this guys will be modellers that have been accepted), then you ask them "I want a house like this, with that and that". Then, is their job to build the house to your needs, respecting the style in the neighborhood. After that, the model will be tested and then the new model should be in the server so the players can download it and view it. We're still studying the way we're going to implement it, ideas are welcome.

there's a similar project called the 'Myriad Islands' I'm sure many of you have heard of it, it started many years ago back in VC and it still isn't finished

http://www.gtaforums.com/index.php?showforum=98

I'm just saying that doing a project like this involves a great amount of work and a lot of dedication, you can't just eat the fruit, first you have to plant the seed, watch the plant grow, water it regularly and if take good care of it you will receive a sweet fruit as a reward ;)

good luck!

We're know Myriad Islands, and we definitely don't want anything like that. We want the player to build houses/etc to his likes but keeping the quality and the map playable, and by playable I mean not having a street where there is a house falling apart, a mansion next to it, a nuclear plant in the corner.

The map design is almost done, I'll post it in a few days. At the moment in our forums people are discussion stuff like players levels abilities, resources gathering, jobs, ages and stuff like that.

Which is what we need right now, that the people that like to roleplay to give us ideas.