Appokalypsis, a roleplaying server.

logo1fd0.png

We, the team of Appokalypsis, want to create a roleplaying experience like no other. A deep in-depth one. This will not be a free-roam server, where many falsely take the name of a roleplay server. This is going to be a real roleplaying server, with rules, realistic names and zero-tolerance to deathmatching ( Killing someone with absolutely no RPing reason, a very crappy reason.).

Now, I want you introduce you, to the story of Appokalypsis, albeit a rough draft. It will be fleshed out in time.

The story

It's 1992, and things have gone awry.. very awry indeed.

In 1991, the coup d'état against Gorbachev and Yeltsin succeeded, removing them from power. Because the position was held by ultra-nationalists, they were killed. Then the Soviet Union started a massive stockpiling of weaponry, and they made a plan on how to destroy the US. In late 1991, a society was formed in the US called ''The League of the Workers'', which had, surprisingly, more 10'000 members, and countless contacts, and they were funded by the SU with weapons, money and bombs. In 1992 a plan was made to destroy the West...

Multiple bombs will be detonated in the West, the major cities would be destroyed, and because of heated tension with China, they will be attacked too. The plan was to colonize those lands in about a century. The US found out, and because most of the bombs in North America and Europe were in place, they would need to attack military bases and the main command center. But, there were 5 possible places for the command center. No one knows who actually made it happen, but something went awry when they found a nuclear stockpile. Either the Americans accidently set off the launch, or the Russians did it on purpose, but it exploded... and the explosion destroyed most of western Russia, and irradiated the Warsaw pact states, and Finland with radiation that killed almost everyone, almost. Central Europe was irradiated, but only slightly. Soon, though, a chain reaction spread. Nukes exploded everywhere. The Nukes in China, Germany, France, the US England, Canada, Japan, Australia, South Africa, Saudi Arabia. Iraq... of course, those nukes were a lot smaller, targeting major cities..

It's been three months now, and most of the east US coast is irradiated, along with Canada's eastern coast, making it inhabitable. South America, strangely, had a lot of secret Soviet stockpiles, so it was absolutely devastated, along with most of central America. The only habitable places in America is beyond the ''Black Line'', which reaches from a line that goes through Dallas, it curves in the south and north. It goes to about 20 miles north of Mexico City, and about 300 miles north of Vancouver in the north. Of course, there are pockets of radiation, which are divided into Blue, Yellow and Orange zones, with pockets of each scattered around, with blue zones being the rarest. Europe is divided too, but from a line stretching from Cologne, going exactly north and south, and almost all of Asia is irradiated, except South-east Asia, which follows the pocket system too.

But.. the effects of the radiation will be deadly, to everyone. Unless it's stopped.

There will be three things stopping the recolonization of lands. It's the fact that agriculture can only exist in blue zones, and in very rare cases, yellow zones. Second, the effects of the radiation might make humanity extinct, this will be explained in a forthcoming story update, and thirdly, something that all '"survivors" fear and will fight will rear it's ugly head. As I said, the story is a rough draft, but we have a very talented writer who is going to flesh it out.

Why we didn't pick ''real life roleplay''.

We've been roleplaying on GTA: SA for two years now, the most of us, and trust me, real life roleplaying gets boring . I've seen a lot of great servers pass by, but everyone slowly got bored, they wanted something new, but SA-MP didn't allow us to do anything. So, trust me. Themed roleplaying will be a lot more fun, because.. well, this is what most reallife roleplaying servers lead to.. you're either a mafiaso, a gangstuh, cop, a reporter, or a taxi. But on this server, you can be a food forager, transporter, law enforcer, a guy who builds shelters, a bandit, a raider, a ferry owner. Sounds a lot more interesting, eh? :)

Our gameplay concept.

Our server will be a premier RP server. Meaning, we will have quite high standards in letting people in, as we are going to have an application system, where you will have to write about your character. If it's good enough or we see that you have potential, you will be accepted. If your application is set to pending, don't be discouraged, just fix it up, we know you can do it, but we want to see your application in it's full glory :D. If you're declined, then.. well, you probably can't type a sentence properly, or didn't use proper grammar, or used leet speak. We don't want people who can't type like normal people.

Now, about the gameplay. You will have goals, and you will have to try to survive. You will scavenge for supplies, as there will be an inventory system ( Not at release, probably ). Here's a little picture that will explain the inventory system, it's a concept by one of our team members.

inventorysystemln5.jpg

The towns will be controlled by the players, and we might add buildings and interiors if there is a roleplay reason for it, and if you have enough town members, using the level editor. There will be lots of factions. From bandits to law enforcers, from vigilantes to traveling merchants. On this server, you can be whoever you want to be ( But not anything outrageous. ). Of course, us admins will make characters too, but they will be what we call Feature Characters. Feature characters will be characters that will have a very special role in the game, like leaders of a major organization, or a very major scientist. Not only admins can be FC's, any player can become one if we think that he has made a very serious impact on the storyline. The system of FC's will be explained in a forthcoming update.

There will be a game master-player system of relations. There will be lots of events, but of course, you must generate your own RP, as well. There will be a dynamic storyline, and YOU can make a difference by shooting the wrong guy, or bribing the wrong person.

Also, you will have to have a great imagination. We can't script everything, and we won't. We don't want to be a completely script based roleplay server. Scripts should help in the RP, not become the key tool. They key tool is your mind, and what you make of the story.

The team and the community

At the moment there isn’t a very large community, but it will grow in time. So, here are some links to help you out.

Forums - We don't have one yet, but we will in a weeks time, check this thread often!

The Team

Awesome-o, also known as Exadus - Co-founder, producer and project manager, additional creative writing, the future forum manager MSN: [email protected]

SilentLink, also known as Jonas - Co-founder, main creative writer, possibly additional scripting. MSN:[email protected]

Drizzeh, but known as Moonshine on this forum - Concept artist, community manager. MSN: [email protected]

We don't have a host yet, but we have someone who might host, but if the negotiations fail, we will look for one.

As you can see, we need a scripter ( Jonas dosen’t really know Lua, yet. :) ) and recruitment thread will be up shortly and will tell you how to apply.

If you are interested in joining our team, add us, and we can talk about it.

If you're experienced with Lua, please contact me on MSN.

Please ask anything about the mod in this thread, like suggestions and comments.

UPDATES COMING SOON.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A BIT MORE - ELABORATION

Yes, just to add a bit about it, we're looking to make it a project accepted by the community, willing to participate in and such. We're looking for people interested in founding the ground for the server with us. We want to create a unique experience of role-play to the new engine: MTA. The experience of role-play that even SAMP's role-playing servers haven't had yet.

While most RP modes consist in letting the player out in the city and setting him/her to freeroam, Appokalypsis is here to do more. Firstly, it will launch the player in a post-appocalyptic setting created with MTA's innovative Map Editor. Unlike other GTA role-playing servers, it will automatically give him/her a goal to work for, a goal keeping the person playing.

Each character will have their own goal of survival as their first one, having developed an infection because of the radiation and needing to cure it before their life time ticks away (infection spreads, character dies). The remaining ones will now be struggling to either find a way out of the chaos, eithere find a way to save the continent. Obviously, this doesn't restrict the ability to roam the available ground, acquire goods, meet other people and most importantly: role-play. As the first post said, you can become about everything you want and realistically can; you can be a bandit using the chaotic opportunity to stack up his pockets, you can be a law enforcing militia member, yada yada yada... You choose.

With the character panel, inventory system, Game Masters (basically, lead administrators to adjust the events and lead the player in a few moments), Feature Characters, a common goal with unique characters and the beautiful flexebility MTA provides, we will be making something slightly similar to NWN-type of role-play (a few D&D elements and whatnot), mixed with GTA's action and freeroam.

I am sincerely hoping for the community support and I expect seeing interested faces joing up our wide project, which sparked up from a single idea.

-Moonshine.

Great to see someone serious about this, as I want to see it done, but I don't like the idea of giving a storyline. I more like the idea of allowing players to create who they want to be from scratch, and building up your own stats, properties, etc.. The part about the bombs etc make it sound like a gamemode to me so.. :!:

You must have misunderstood what we were saying. You CAN create your character from scratch and you WILL HAVE TO. You can roam around, build up whatever the devil you want to and whatnot. The bombing and its aftermath is not a gamemode, it's a theme.

Believe us, us three have been through various realistic role-play communities which simply put you into the city and let you off like this. Sure, in the beginning it's fun, right, but after a couple of months it just gets too old because you have absolutely no mass goal. The whole infection idea was to give people one direct goal to achieve, but it doesn't restrict you in creating your own role-play and adding up to the main one - that's what we want.

Just the thing is, there needs to be at least one defined storyline so other little lines can push themselves off it with more ease to produce more role-play. Think about the server as an apple tree, user-created scenarios as branches and successful role-play as apples: in order to get the apples you will need branches on which they grow on, these branches come out of the main part of the tree. The setting we give is that part.

(the water, the sun and other things needed for the tree to grow are good administrators, a good host, a good scripter, but mainly good members! :lol: )

PS: God, I just sounded like a total geek here, did I?.. Fuck.

It’s not everyday a creation of such is neutralised into the community scene and by the looks of things this could be something which awakens and brings in plenty of new faces.

I wouldn’t be surprised if I dropped by within the future.

It’s not everyday a creation of such is neutralised into the community scene and by the looks of things this could be something which awakens and brings in plenty of new faces.

I wouldn’t be surprised if I dropped by within the future.

We'll be grateful if you do *thumbs up*

And thanks for the nice comment.

UPDATE

We've updated the forums a lot with some documentation, character registration and a Development Journal.

We've also acquired a ventrilo, server and website host!

What we need now is more players and then some scripters, so PLEASE: If you know even a little bit of Lua, contact us! You won't regret it, we promise.