MTA:VC Development Thread

The motorcycle fix appears to be bugged. If you get on a bike as a driver with no passenger, then get off, and someone else gets on as the driver, then you try to get on as a passenger, you jack the driver but still get on as passenger, therefore a crash occurs. Haven't a clue what's causing it, and don't know what to do to try to fix it either.

I'd like to test Pay n Sprays again but I don't have enough memory for it. Just defining the Pay n Spray garages takes up ~256 bytes (and I've only got a little less than that available). Adding the fix would take up another ~256 bytes, and I have no way to free any more memory since I've already done everything I can think of.

Besides fixing the motorcycle thing, I'd like to define z-angles for every interior. This won't take too long and it'll stop an infinite loop which can occur in some cases if you exit an interior facing backwards, for example. EDIT: Or not. That actually causes infinite loops. Nevermind that, then.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Been having some trouble since the motorcycle passenger bug workaround isn't working correctly. It still often results in crashes, and I don't know why. It's probably the workaround itself as I've tried it with an unchanged scm. Meh.

Otherwise, everything is complete except for the stubby walkglitch fix (I know how to fix it, just very hard to reproduce so it's hard to test whether it's fixed or not). It's sort of a rare bug so I don't know whether I'll bother fixing it. Once I fix the motorcycle thing, I'll do a little bit more final testing then go talk to IJs again.

Otherwise, everything is complete except for the stubby walkglitch fix (I know how to fix it, just very hard to reproduce so it's hard to test whether it's fixed or not). It's sort of a rare bug so I don't know whether I'll bother fixing it.

Not hard to reproduce, keep forward and shooting keys pressed and hit sprint

Sorry for the lack of updates. There's just not much to do. The only thing unfinished is the motorcycle fix (it wasn't working properly), and I have no other ideas how to fix it. I tested an unchanged MTAD.SCM with only one motorcycle fix and it wasn't working there, too. Maybe if I had a few crash logs to figure out the problem.

I also couldn't seem to fix the stubby walkglitch; I tried a bunch of different values and they didn't change anything. Maybe I'm changing the wrong value or what, but I don't know.

Here's some new readmes.

DM SCM CHANGELOG:

BUGS FIXED:

Armor reworked. Cop + VCC both have 50 armor. VCC only has 50 armor because I couldn't fix all the various armor bugs.

Fixed passenger heli-killing (where if you're flying in a helicopter as a passenger, and you exit, you get heli-killed).

Implemented check for being dead inside cars. Previously, if you were in a car and you did /kill, you would stay in the car and not be "dead". Now, if you do /kill, you exit the car shortly thereafter to prevent this exploit.

The Machete is not synced. Changed VCC's melee weapon to the Hammer as a result.

Yellow Rancher at North Point Mall fixed. If you blew it up, its black shell remained. Now, upon exploding, it leaves no shell.

Silenced Ingram (Tec10) at Leaf Links fixed. It works as normal now.

Corrected two pickups that were submerged in the ground partially.

Fixed many door/lift Z angles to stop infinite loops if you were holding down the "forward" key.

Sabre Turbo's coordinates fixed to prevent it from falling off the spawn roof, and stopped it from spawning in Little Haiti.

Corrected an incorrect "if" check.

Stopped some spawn roof actors' models from being loaded twice. Saves memory.

Removed some completely unused/useless code.

Cleaned up small bits of code here and there.

FEATURES ADDED:

All of the interiors implemented. Print Works, Rifle Range, Lawyer's Office, Apartment 3C, VROCK Recording Studio, Love Fist "Temple of Rock", Biker Bar, Auntie Poulet's house, and Café Robina.

Lifts implemented: Hyman Condos, Gonzalez' House (directly behind the Malibu; Gonzalez was the guy you had to kill in "Treacherous Swine"), the VCN building, and the Bank Vault elevator.

"Cop Land", "Sir, Yes Sir!”, the SSA Car List, and Pay n Spray garages opened. The Pay n Spray does not function as a Pay n Spray; just a normal non-saving garage. There’s also another garage at the Docks, and I’ve never seen it open before. I don’t know where it came from. There’s yet another garage near the “Sir, Yes Sir!” garage that opens and closes.

Yellow Cheetah moved into "Sir, Yes Sir!" garage.

Moved Maverick and PCJ600 (yellow) spawns. The Maverick spawns on the Helipad, and the PCJ nearby the small pier next to the bridge.

Ambulances added; one replaced red BF Injection downtown, the other replaced the Virgo at the Sailor spawn. The first one can be found at Vice Point Hospital, and the second one can be found parked in the alleyway by the Little Havana Hospital.

Fire Truck moved to the Fire Department downtown.

Added all of the missing objects from Cortez's boat; furniture on the deck, door textures, the getaway boat, and the gangplank.

Removed the Cleaver from the tool shops as it's not synced, and added the Hammer at the North Point Mall tool shop.

Golf Club spawns near the Caddy in Leaf Links.

Secret Service striped suit skin spawn moved to the bottom of the stairs. (hah, quite a tongue twister)

Spawn menu cleaned up; no more "known rivals". (here's a picture.)

MTA 0.4 help marker and its associated code removed.

Enabled the second newspaper type. (here's a picture.)

Money removal is continuous. If you pick up money, it will be removed shortly thereafter, as money has no purpose in MTA DM.

STUNT SCM CHANGELOG:

BUGS FIXED:

Fixed passenger heli-killing (where if you're flying in a helicopter as a passenger, and you exit, you get heli-killed).

Implemented check for being dead inside cars. Previously, if you were in a car and you did /kill, you would stay in the car and not be "dead". Now, if you do /kill, you exit the car shortly thereafter to prevent this exploit.

Fixed several incorrect "if" checks.

Stopped some spawn roof actors' models from being loaded twice. Saves memory.

Removed some completely unused/useless code.

Cleaned up a lot of code.

FEATURES ADDED:

"Cop Land", "Sir, Yes Sir!", the SSA Car List, and Pay n Spray garages opened. The Pay n Spray does not function as a Pay n Spray; just a normal non-saving garage. There’s also another garage at the Docks, and I’ve never seen it open before. I don’t know where it came from. There’s yet another garage near the “Sir, Yes Sir!” garage that opens and closes.

Added all of the missing objects from Cortez's boat; furniture on the deck, door textures, the getaway boat, and the gangplank.

Mission "G-Spotlight" stairs and ladder extended.

Enabled the second newspaper type. (here's a picture.)

Updated american.gxt. Slimmed the file to 50kb (originally 481kb) by removing most of the cutscene data (as there are no cutscenes in MTA) and useless credits. I’ve added some text data for a few interiors which had no related text. Also updated the MTA help marker (perhaps for future use) and fixed a typo. This has been tested thoroughly and there are no bugs.

Guess I'll talk to IJs next time I see him on IRC and see if I could have some crash logs (assuming the team kept them).

how bout also making the client mod compatable, such as if a mod is on ur game, u can start a server with the mod, and other people must download it before they can play on the server with u. i'd be fun to play the back to the future mod on mta :fadein: if u wanted to join a regular server, which didn't have any mods on it at all, there could be a button which upon pressing it would deactivate the mods to ur gtavc game so u could play on the server. also, i hafta agree, in ur release, u should disable the knockdown with the stubby shotgun. it's way too cheap. me and my friend quit playing cuz everyone was using the abundance of glitches in the client to their advantage, and therefore were cheating. this is probably the main reason why 0.5 is dying, cuz players are getting sick of the glitches giving other players advantages over them. another main reason is cuz of the low security, in which any1 could've easily made hacks and cheats for their mta client without it detecting it. all in all, without u making a new version, the client would probably suffer the same fate as bf2 did, remaining a bug filled game, with tons of lag in it, while constantly dying

how bout also making the client mod compatable, such as if a mod is on ur game, u can start a server with the mod, and other people must download it before they can play on the server with u. i'd be fun to play the back to the future mod on mta :fadein: if u wanted to join a regular server, which didn't have any mods on it at all, there could be a button which upon pressing it would deactivate the mods to ur gtavc game so u could play on the server. also, i hafta agree, in ur release, u should disable the knockdown with the stubby shotgun. it's way too cheap. me and my friend quit playing cuz everyone was using the abundance of glitches in the client to their advantage, and therefore were cheating. this is probably the main reason why 0.5 is dying, cuz players are getting sick of the glitches giving other players advantages over them. another main reason is cuz of the low security, in which any1 could've easily made hacks and cheats for their mta client without it detecting it. all in all, without u making a new version, the client would probably suffer the same fate as bf2 did, remaining a bug filled game, with tons of lag in it, while constantly dying

Can't stop knockdown for shotguns I'm pretty sure, and I can't fix anything in the client (nor will IJs).

• 3 weeks later...

ain't been here in a while, but i have some ideas for the unofficial update

- the ability to upload a vehicle, such as driving the car of ur choice into an uploading station during singleplayer. it would then upload the car to the mta client, and when u looked inside one of the garages inside sunshine autos, ur car would be there.

- the ability to play mta in "clean mode". when activated, any modifications to the singleplayer game would be temporarily disabled, so that the client would still run and u could play online. when the feature is deactivated, or when the client closes, the modifications would be enabled again

ain't been here in a while, but i have some ideas for the unofficial update

- the ability to upload a vehicle, such as driving the car of ur choice into an uploading station during singleplayer. it would then upload the car to the mta client, and when u looked inside one of the garages inside sunshine autos, ur car would be there.

- the ability to play mta in "clean mode". when activated, any modifications to the singleplayer game would be temporarily disabled, so that the client would still run and u could play online. when the feature is deactivated, or when the client closes, the modifications would be enabled again

Both are impossible currently.

I'm only an SCM coder, can't do anything with the client. Even then, I don't think that car thing can be done. It would probably be exploited as well, e.g. 20000 mph cars.

"Clean mode" is impossible as the MTAClient doesn't know what mods you have. The only way to actually do such a "clean mode" is to have a clean install of GTA:VC for MTA only, and another for SP. Wastes space, but it's the only way to do it.

I'll ask IJs tomorrow regarding the client recompile.

I also disabled drive-by for vehicles. Since it's unsynced, why waste ammo? I also have a few trivial changes to make for some threads... didn't use local vars. This really won't do anything but make the code somewhat cleaner. I've also added the Hammer to the Downtown Ammunation since I forgot to place one there.

My opinion is, how nice MTA could be, was, or whatever, I think people should have came earlier with updates and fixes. Who would still play when MTA:SA is in the air? And I don't want to fuck things up, or saying this is completely bullshit, but the reason why I mention, is that MTA is almost empty, so why should there be a waste of time now, everyone is allready known at the gameplay of the bugs who are still in MTA. And not all people are seeing each others bugs, so I wonder if this will work out properly. Still, I appreciate it for those who are still trying.

My opinion is, how nice MTA could be, was, or whatever, I think people should have came earlier with updates and fixes. Who would still play when MTA:SA is in the air? And I don't want to :o things up, or saying this is completely :~, but the reason why I mention, is that MTA is almost empty, so why should there be a waste of time now, everyone is allready known at the gameplay of the bugs who are still in MTA. And not all people are seeing each others bugs, so I wonder if this will work out properly. Still, I appreciate it for those who are still trying.

I thought of that. I should have done this earlier... in fact, a year and a half ago.

If this is released before MTA:SA, then some people would probably play it. MTA is pretty empty right now, especially with VC-MP around. I can't compete with VC-MP.

To be honest, unless I make some changes to the weapons or something, I don't think many people are going to play MTA:VC.

The mod is done nonetheless, so might as well finish what I started.

Thats true, it's nice to see people still want improvement, but yea, it really simple. If people don't like the game anymore, they go over to another game they do like, and don't come back that easly. It's a pitty in my eyes, there were sucha great times in MTA VC. But ah well, I cannot say more about it, I hope for those who're still giving any attempt of new synch and weapons etc, good luck.