Official records

This idea was inspired by the records thread started by Aeron.

I know that this is a feature that probably is best realised through scripting, so it's not necessarily directed at the devs or QA team.

So let's assume that we have a few maps (probably race maps) that are called official maps, perhaps those released with the client. So every server has the option to save records on all maps, and upload the results to a central record database. Of course you'd have to CRC check the map etc. to make sure that maps with the same name make it in to the database.

Ideally the records on each server should be saved so that it's easier to find faulty or cheated records, so when a faulty record is uploaded to the central database the server admins can go back and remove the record from their server, so the next time the records are updated the faulty record is removed on the central server.

This feature could serve as a sort of ladder for players that like race maps, as well as show the player skill of each server (to some extent).

I think that it's fairly easy to make the LUA code to collect the necessary data and store it locally, and since we can share the code this only has to be done once. But someone would have to host the central record server, or there could be many who host their own record servers (seperate ladders) and then the server admins choose which servers to upload the record to.

This idea is still very basic, so please share your opinions on what's good and what's bad, or how you would do it.

Yes, of course that would be possible. That's why you need someone to keep an eye on the records that are sent in.

Actually, you don't have to monitor the records too much, because if you display all the records and not just the best ones, then the players could identify cheated records and report them to an admin.

It would also be fairly easy to control which servers' records are displayed on the website. If a server uploads alot of cheated records then you could ban them from the record server.

this might work fine for one server, but when it comes to gather data from more servers you bump in quite a few problems as Clerlic and kevuwk said

we tried to do something like this (for 1 server atm), if you click the picture in my sig you can see how it came out

Thinking about it a while I realise that you can protect the records being uploaded if you encrypt the results with a key that is known only at the local and central servers. This would however only stop fiddling with transmitting fake records.

The real issue is the ones that cheat ever so slightly to get a time that is good enough to be the best, but not good enough to prove that they have cheated.

Anyone got any bright ideas on how to make a record system such as this secure?