The testing process

In the ongoing development of DM, how does the testing process work? How often are there code changes made that are pushed to the beta testers? Is there a specific time of day/week that the testers get together to test, or is it more an ad-hoc process that just happens?

Also, given that that a DM release is (presumably) coming soon, have the number of major changes dropped significantly? Or are there still major changes that are getting checked in?

QA testers are getting a new build every single night. This allows for us to see bugs fixed very quickly and move on to the next thing.

Therefore our testing process mostly involves grabbing these new builds and testing them out. We report bugs wherever necessary. Very recently we've been giving "Build reviews" which give details about the build, and allows us to portray our views on the quality of the build.

Also, given that that a DM release is (presumably) coming soon, have the number of major changes dropped significantly? Or are there still major changes that are getting checked in?

On the contrary. "Changes" can refer to absolutely anything. Recently the team have given us an increase in bug fixes and are trying to tweak the mod for maximum stability - in preparation for beta. In that sense, no the number of major changes has not dropped. I'd say things are being truly polished - and this can require some major changes.

If by "changes" you mean features, or anything significant like that - the team really havent been adding much. Things like gamespeed and gravity are actually very small features in terms of coding and time. The only reason we've seen features like this is because it is feasible for these features to be added at this time. These features are highly unlikely to make the mod take any longer to get out the door.

I hope that clears things up for you a bit.

Open betas are a long way away. I doubt anything has been absolutely "decided" yet.

They're actually very close :P

Okay, that works too.

Yeah, but the question is, "How close is very close?" and "Is it close what concerns time, coding, or bug fixing?". Very close can be far away :P

Yeah, but the question is, "How close is very close?" and "Is it close what concerns time, coding, or bug fixing?". Very close can be far away :P

surely coding and bug fixes are the same thing, unless you mean features and bug fixes but then most of the efforts are on bug fixes

Open betas are a long way away. I doubt anything has been absolutely "decided" yet.

They're actually very close :P

Okay, that works too.

very close = NEVER!!!

samp is too boring, i cant wait anymore for mta:dm.

i will "BEEP" my dog if you wont release it when summer holiday starts.

My prediction is that release will come before 20 times the amount of days it takes to make a mayan week times by all the Fridays in a leap year times all the seconds in a day divided by a millenium minus 28 weeks worth of time.

Prediction time in seconds, of course.

I predict that you're both 1 second of (yeah I know), and that someone is going to say this is not a spamming topic.

This is not a spamming topic.

Told you...

surely coding and bug fixes are the same thing, unless you mean features and bug fixes but then most of the efforts are on bug fixes

And yes, bug fixing is coding too, although it's rewriting (sort of).

edit: added quote :P

Edited by Guest
I predict that you're both 1 second of (yeah I know), and that someone is going to say this is not a spamming topic.

This is not a spamming topic.

Told you...

And yes, bug fixing is coding too, although it's rewriting (sort of).

What?

We're probably not getting more then "The open beta's are very close.", although I said a while back in this topic that very close can be far away.

I hope my previous post is clearer with the quote (if it wouldn't have shown up on a new page it'd have been clearer I thinkg).

I really hope they've been aiming for a June (maybe 6/1?) open release. I really hope it's not some cheesy 3-day test though like SA-** has been doing. I myself am not a constant moaner about bugs. I would like it even more If they release now with a few bugs here and there than taking a whole extra 3 months to make it 'perfect'

This topic is about beta test stuffs, I know. But beta and releasedate are pretty close topics, no?

My prediction is that release will come before 20 times the amount of days it takes to make a mayan week times by all the Fridays in a leap year times all the seconds in a day divided by a millenium minus 28 weeks worth of time.

I did the maths (may I have a cookie now?):

20 x (days in mayan week=13) x (fridays in a leap year=|366:7|) x (total seconds in a day=86400) : (1000years-(28 weeks)=999.46337) = t(s)

<=> 20 x 13 x 52 x 86400 : 999.46337 = 11744303.5 seconds

= 3262.3 hours = 136 days

Ransom predicted the release date to be before 6. October this year. And there was much rejoice! Huzzah!

return confused;

}

No news on the site, please put something there soon, even if it's not ingame shootage!

Edited by Guest

Talas... thats quite sad lol, but funny in the long run...

I really hope it's not some cheesy 3-day test though like SA-** has been doing

Stealth Pyros: Even know you may think this way of beta testing is some what cheesy :P, its one of the quickest ways to find bugs then reporting them so the MTA Dev Team can fix them...

Thats why SA-MP do it.