One of the biggest probs with MTASA right now...

wankawitz

Hiyas...first post here in a long while, I got a suggestion.

I think one of the biggest problems with MTA SA is in races, it's way too much reliant on how you spawn. Do you get lucky and spawn in front or get unlucky and spawn in a big cluster of all the other players that all crash into you or turn you around? This all factors in way too much into the results of the race. What I suggest is having a time period at the beginning of all races (not Car DM matches) where all the players can't hit eachother. Say make it 20 seconds, that gives everyone a good chance to get off to a good start and clear out of eachother's way. This would make the game much better/funner. How you perform in a race shouldn't be so heavily dependent on how/where you spawn.

So what if cars are still touching each other at the end of the 20 second "rolling start" period? That's the tricky part, I would just assume they would crash, which would still be more fair than how it is now. 20 seconds gives people a lot of time to space out from eachother, and if they can't do by the time 20 seconds is over, then they collide with eachother. Another tricky aspect of this is how would it be enabled on races and not car DM matches? Having a 20 second time period in Car DM matches where no one can hit eachother would definitely be annoying. I hope the devs can overcome these things, if they even consider my suggestions.

I would really love to see it happen, or at least give admins the option of doing it. Also what might be neat is a ghost race option, where players can't collide with eachother the entire race, that would also be real cool, and the races would be based much more on skill than luck. I'm not saying all the races now are determined by luck, but it certainly plays a bigger factor than it should.

Anyone like these ideas? It might of been mentioned before or some sort of variation of it. I really enjoy MTASA online but think these options would make it much better. Thanks.

I like the ghost idea, but don't like the 20 second idea at all. I think the spawning is pretty good right now, because it brings you to the speed you were when you were racing before. The game gives you about 5 seconds to look at the ghosted car that is about to spawn to give you time to get away with it, or hit it. Up to you!

But the ghosting thing... great idea! I'd like to see this happen.

When I speak of spawning I meant primarily the initial spawn at the beginning of every race.

I don't know if they'll want to completely take out player contact, or else it's not exactly an ideal 'multiplayer' game, taking out all of the player to player car collisions might not be the best way to do it. However, I'd definitely rather see that happen rather than how it is currently. Plus with the sync issues, crashing into other people without intent is easy to do, and it's hard to strategically block someone or crash someone else out to get ahead in the race, since some players lag more than others, it's difficult to predict where they actually are as opposed to where you see their vehicle. Still, those things are important in any race. So I would still rather see something like the proposed 20 second rule rather than completely eliminating collisions of any kind. But, I would be happy with either of my suggestions were adopted.

Thanks for the comment.

I think one of the biggest problems with MTA SA is in races, it's way too much reliant on how you spawn. Do you get lucky and spawn in front or get unlucky and spawn in a big cluster of all the other players that all crash into you or turn you around?

Thats a badly designed map, started by the badly designed ones that shipped withthe first version, unfortunately most people when designing thier own followed suit.

The key is finding the right area to position the starting line. There are some decent maps out there with proper, single line starts. The maps for the old SARL competition for instance. Findig na server that runs them without the stupidly congested startline maps is a challenge in itself though, unfortunately.

Having said that, a map option to disable vehicle on vehicle collision would be a nice addition for other reasons. Extra options placed at the disposal of race makers are almost always a good thing. A small winding go-kart track for instance would lend itself perfectly to 'ghost' racers.

i dont like that idea... thats not trackmanianations here... after the 20 seconds there would be about 3-7 guys at the same place and so they would become solid in each other... there are enought ways to build good spawns which dont give the front spawners to much time between the back spawners

after the 20 seconds there would be about 3-7 guys at the same place and so they would become solid in each other...

they don't need to become solid until they are at a safe distance from each other if you know what I mean.. I agree with Si|ent, a lot of mapmakers would welcome this addition..

its great if u like that idea but there are many good drivers and theyll be at the same place after the 20 seconds ghost time so theyll become solid in each other

forget the 20 seconds, you didn't understand me.. you can keep the 'ghost mode' for as long as you want while the players are in the same spot and deactivate it only when they get seperated, this way they don't become solid forming a large pile of cars glued together.. :P

ah now i understand but that would have another problem, 1. 20 secons + as long as u stay in someone else: would be hard to code (lags would make it buggy) 2. no 20 secons just as long as u stay at someone elses place: hard to code (lags) and whats if a third comes to 2. who stay in each other? it wouldnt be fair if he could go trough them...

Yes, some maps have better starting positions than others, but this doesn't solve everything. You can still have a large amount of players (15+) within the same vicinity of each other, and off-the-bat collisions still happen even if the spawn points are placed a good deal apart from each other. Since everyone wants to be in front of the pack, and everyone's going in basically the same direction. So while some map designers use better spawn points than others, there's still the problem of many people crashing and spinning out other players before you even go 50 feet.

I guess the complete ghost race option is more liked than the purposed timed ghost vehicle start. That's fine by me :) - Though I just came up with 20 second rule as an example off the top of my head, now that i've thought about it more, 10 seconds would probably be better. 20 seconds seems like it might be too long. But I understand that would probably be harder to code, and there would probably be issues with cars coming out of ghost mode while in contact with other vehicles. Anyhow, I still like both of my ideas and would love to see either of them implemented. Whether or not they are possible is another question.

ah now i understand but that would have another problem, 1. 20 secons + as long as u stay in someone else: would be hard to code (lags would make it buggy) 2. no 20 secons just as long as u stay at someone elses place: hard to code (lags) and whats if a third comes to 2. who stay in each other? it wouldnt be fair if he could go trough them...

I don't see why it would cause lag after all everything's the same except the vehicles cols are removed.. think about when you respawn for a couple of seconds you are a ghost and others can pass through you, have you ever experienced lag during that time? I never did

I don't see why it would cause lag after all everything's the same except the vehicles cols are removed.. think about when you respawn for a couple of seconds you are a ghost and others can pass through you, have you ever experienced lag during that time? I never did

doesn't he mean: when you lag, its harder to find out when you're not anymore at the same place?

i like the idea

No collision during the whole race should defniately an option. When I think of flying maps.. any scratch at the wings is pretty bad. There are often people flying very near to each other and though it can be very exciting to get that close in a Hydra at top speed, it mostly results in crashes. As you normally can't controll that much if you're flying into other people or not, no collision would be a neat addition.

There are often people flying very near to each other and though it can be very exciting to get that close in a Hydra at top speed, it mostly results in crashes.

exactly, a bit of lag and the person behind ends up crashing in the other plane..

EDIT: just popped in my mind, there could also be a 'ghost mode' pickup that lasts for say 5 seconds..

No collisions at all does sound better than the time period at spawn idea. Although spinning out/crashing other cars should be a part of the game, the lag sync issues aren't good enough yet where you could strategically crash out another player. I try and crash someone else once in a while (i'll admit :D ) but it all depends on the lag whether I crash them out or spin myself out, it's too hard to judge with the lag/sync issues currently.

Thanks for the feedback.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd also like to mention how I envision this playing out;

Everyone else's car would be about 60% transparent, while you can see your own vehicle normally (no transparency). That's just how I envisioned it. If the other cars weren't transparent, it would be easy to get mixed up with the other cars and be blinded. Making opponent cars transparent would solve that.

By the by...any chance this could be implemented soon? What are the odds of it being implemented at all? Just curious. I really want to play a mode like this.

Well, I think this would be a great option for race makers. Now I know we have all experienced this issue within most races, it's not something that just affect few ppl in a race.

And the way I see it, the bacis feature is already coded into mta. You know after you die and you have respawned, your car has no collision for like 2 seconds. Well, I think it wouldnt be too hard to just leave the car as is.

But, I am no coder, so it could be much more difficult than what I think.

• 2 weeks later...