NPCs

bummer.. I wish it was possible to make custome scripts for the peds.. like make them only do certain things.. like for example.. say u build a map, and u put a soldier in there.. I wish u could assign a soldier to guard a certain area, and if someone enters that area, the soldier goes on a killing spree, just shooting random targets.. that way it really wouldn't use much from the server's cpu and bandwith.. or like, make a spot that activates the soldier to go on a killing spree.. or something.. SOME OF THIS haaaaaaaas to be possible.. cops is maybe too much to ask.. cuz if u have 32 ppl.. u'd need 32 squads to go after each individual, now that would mess up the server's cpu and bandwith.. but maybe if u could just place ONE police squad on the whole map.. like 5 cops only... they'd have their hands full.. lol..

EDIT:: btw, like, isn't there someway to make the ped as an object on the map.. rather than a part of a temporary enviroment.. if GTA was in java (LOL) that would be possible..

The server doesn't know nearly as much about the game world as the clients do, so it would be hard for it to dictate an NPC's actions (unless they were VERY scripted). Another downside is that an NPC would take up as much bandwidth as a regular player.

It's a problem to sync the peds as in single player they disappear when u turn around or when you go on a longer distance from them

I doubt they would have any trouble with that.

Another downside is that an NPC would take up as much bandwidth as a regular player.

true.. but there are 32 slots.. and I'm talking about NPCs only as an optional feature.. like, the map maker decides if he wants to put NPCs in or not.. and I think, beeing 27 players on a server that has 5 NPCs, might be more fun than playing on a server with 32 players... cuz u might even never notice those 5 players..so why not just use those slots for NPCs or sumthing?..

but i don't think bandwith would be any problem..

• 9 months later...

"2. Memory issues, VC was designed as Single player only, as such you notice that peds are only generated around the players... there is a limit to the number of pedestrians the engine can display... and we push that limit w/ just 32 players.. "

Can't remember the name of the guy who posted this but he does at least give the reason why NPC's supposedly arent possible as opposed to : We cant do it, drop the subject.

It seems everyone approaches this issue as client side generation of peds.

I ran a search and tried to read as many of them as I could. I see there's a huge amount and I can understand why.

Because it was one of the things that made GTA1+2 MP great to play.

There are obviously a huge amount of players that feel the same way.

My suggestion would be something I've thought of as a fix for single player cop problems years ago (they keep popping up behind you when you try to do something criminal so i wanted the game to generate cops and keep tracking them even when you arent in range) to minimize pop ups.

The server would keep track of where peds are, but not physically draw any animations/models or anything until a player is within range of them. Thus the net traffic would only be: position (xyz co-ordinate?), model, direction of movement. That info will not get sent out until a player is within range and seeing as it has all the info needed, the client can draw the models/anims/textures themselves once needed.

Sumone also posted that it would be hard to find a player in a crowd of NPC's.

..... uh... Exactly? Thats the whole point. No ghost town fighting. IE - feels like a city.

This method would also eliminate problems when two player ranges merge as the peds/traffic positions would already be in place beforehand.

The bit I quoted at the start and the viewrange when you're flying are the only two problems i can think of atm.

On another note: A HUGE thanks to the people that made MTA possible. You all deserve medals... or summin.

*Expects plenty of flaming but hope he at least gets some positive feedback*

^_^

IRC: za.shadowfire.org #oGk

• 2 months later...

It would be awesome to have peds in it, maybe just for games where you only have a couple of players. I was suggesting co-op Vigilante, peds would be cool for that.

And yeah, multi-player GTA 1 rules.

• 8 months later...

i need fully controllable NPC, you can yse GTA SA client maps to navigate NPC in the world, like it's done on MANGoS project

this is beautiful thing thet we waiting for about two years... can we do it for us, all script/gamemodes development community?

we please all developers of MTA...

i need fully controllable NPC, you can yse GTA SA client maps to navigate NPC in the world, like it's done on MANGoS project

this is beautiful thing thet we waiting for about two years... can we do it for us, all script/gamemodes development community?

we please all developers of MTA...