GTA Trilogy Remaster - Impact on MTA?

The_GTA

Heard the news yet? Official news has broken out about Grand Theft Auto: The Trilogy – The Definitive Edition. Looks like Rockstar Games will begin removing GTA San Andreas classic from the digital stores. You will still be able to play but not purchase new copies anymore. Buy your digital GTA San Andreas copies while you still can!

I did find some random news articles about this:

Grant Theft Auto: The Trilogy announced — GTA 4 snubbed once again | Tom's Guide (tomsguide.com)

Grand Theft Auto: The Trilogy – The Definitive Edition Officially Announced (ign.com)

I like to think that MTA is kept alive by nostalgia so that it won't impact us too much, but who knows?

Edited by The_GTA
  • Administrators

Yep, there's been a barrage of discussions on this in our Discord server with various topics e.g whether MTA should move to the new engine, how will player count look on trilogy release etc - everything is very much vague at this point.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Tut said:

Yep, there's been a barrage of discussions on this in our Discord server with various topics e.g whether MTA should move to the new engine, how will player count look on trilogy release etc - everything is very much vague at this point.

Understandable. I am hoping for a modding API a'la plugin-sdk in the new GTA SA version. In some rumors there was talk of a comparison to high fidelity mods in the community. To not confuse the public I have, cautiously in advance, edited the Wiki page on how to buy GTA SA that the new game version on digital markets will not be compatible with MTA. This might of course change but it is unlikely to happen fast. I sure hope so! As vague as our participation in the upcoming game release is, as vague is also the modding capability of it. Due to the recent crossfire between GTA modding community and R* Games/Take-Two especially. But I am hoping for a more stable and capable engine that would not require those ugly assembly hacks anymore to get the game to multiplayer fruition.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
On 09/10/2021 at 12:33, Tut said:

How can i join that MTA discord? i personally would LOVE TO PLAY MTA on this NEW GTA SA Version of rockstar.

On 09/10/2021 at 14:28, The_GTA said:

Understandable. I am hoping for a modding API a'la plugin-sdk in the new GTA SA version. In some rumors there was talk of a comparison to high fidelity mods in the community. To not confuse the public I have, cautiously in advance, edited the Wiki page on how to buy GTA SA that the new game version on digital markets will not be compatible with MTA. This might of course change but it is unlikely to happen fast. I sure hope so! As vague as our participation in the upcoming game release is, as vague is also the modding capability of it. Due to the recent crossfire between GTA modding community and R* Games/Take-Two especially. But I am hoping for a more stable and capable engine that would not require those ugly assembly hacks anymore to get the game to multiplayer fruition.

we will be able to play MTA on this new GTA SA version? would be awesome

• Administrators
1 hour ago, mathewzika said:

How can i join that MTA discord? i personally would LOVE TO PLAY MTA on this NEW GTA SA Version of rockstar.

There are no plans for GTA Trilogy support, but it is an option we would like to explore once the game itself is released.

There is an invite button to our Discord server at the bottom of the site, alternatively click the image below!

fcd8efae86176d70eedf4d57dcc4f985_icon-di

9 hours ago, mathewzika said:

If the new engine does provide us with plugin-sdk like modding API at launch, I can see a bright future ahead for the MTA project on the new engine.

• 2 weeks later...

I think that the Rockstar Games Launcher is going to be used for selling and authentication of the new GTA Trilogy. Honestly, this is a good idea! This way Rockstar Games is keeping a tight connection with it's player base. Not only can we expect them to keep the game up-to-date but they will know in-house how popular the new games are going to be.

Let's talk about the possibility of MTA on the new engine. If everything goes right, that is the game executable and game files are modding friendly, then we can come clean by supporting only those game executables that are authenticated by their launcher, by strong hash verification. It gives us the opportunity to get a respectable way into Rockstar Vision, that is their public eye for the GTA community including the mods. I pray that the online DRM will be enough: please consider not obfuscating the game executable, Rockstar Games! I strongly believe that MTA does want to get things right this time, better than ever before. We as a community have to set the example, if we so choose to embark onto this new journey. ?

We want to keep Rockstar Games a live and well company so they can continue making great GTA games into the very future! There is no point in discussing the abandonware argument.

Edited by The_GTA
26 minutes ago, The_GTA said:

I think that the Rockstar Games Launcher is going to be used for selling and authentication of the new GTA Trilogy. Honestly, this is a good idea! This way Rockstar Games is keeping a tight connection with it's player base. Not only can we expect them to keep the game up-to-date but they will know in-house how popular the new games are going to be.

Even if the trology gets released on steam or any other platform, it will get shipped with RGL like they do with GTA5, so yeah we can be sure on that.

If we can use rockstars API to authenticate a player having a legit copy, we dont necessarily need a serial system as the username/id will be the unique key. Yes it can still be bypassed by buying a new copy for 60$ but it will become expensive over time for the bad guys. Though I got nothing against a second internal serial like authenticating system provided by the mod.

• Like 1
On 03/11/2021 at 13:23, -ffs-PLASMA said:

If we can use rockstars API to authenticate a player having a legit copy, we dont necessarily need a serial system as the username/id will be the unique key. Yes it can still be bypassed by buying a new copy for 60$ but it will become expensive over time for the bad guys. Though I got nothing against a second internal serial like authenticating system provided by the mod.

I did agree with said point at first (yesterday), but not anymore. Read the following on why...

I think that by buying a new copy for $60, you are taking the possibility of deleting your Social Club account into account, right? There is one interesting point on the official Rockstar Games support article:

• Deleting the account will result in the irreversible loss of activation entitlements for Rockstar Games PC titles, along with any purchased DLC.

By putting this condition for account deletion I am pretty sure that they are in some way combatting people who are bad guys but want to sound clean due to change of account details. But I am not convinced it is perfect. There does not appear to be a way to give-away already activated games, tho the issue of the physical copy is relevant. Also if the game will be sold on Steam, then there definitely is a way to change accounts without our oversight*. Thus in my reply I was NOT talking about cheater protection but SOLELY about game authentication protection. This in itself is a top priority issue. MTA must never get rid of the in-house protections that it already established! They are doing an exemplary work in the entire gaming industry.

(*) Upon further digging into this topic I have found this Steam community thread about people denying the feasibility of Steam account game switching: Can i transfer a game into another account? :: Help and Tips (steamcommunity.com)
It looks like the process is in question but there is potential room for exceptions. This point is not so important because the issue of the physical copy does remain.

Edited by The_GTA

I have seen TXD files inside of the GTA Trilogy San Andreas packaged files. While you cannot buy the game for PC at the time, it does look promising. The UE file formats seem to be understandable aswell, but I just don't have the time yet to create tools for them, etc. First I want to work on the Lua compiler and am hoping that the Trilogy MP will support Lua aswell. All of the Lua scripters should have it easy to find their way onto those beautiful and new remasters/remakes!

4 hours ago, The_GTA said:

I have seen TXD files inside of the GTA Trilogy San Andreas packaged files. While you cannot buy the game for PC at the time, it does look promising. The UE file formats seem to be understandable aswell, but I just don't have the time yet to create tools for them, etc. First I want to work on the Lua compiler and am hoping that the Trilogy MP will support Lua aswell. All of the Lua scripters should have it easy to find their way onto those beautiful and new remasters/remakes!

i'm very excited to play this NEW MTA version but gta sa is very expensive for another countries, that's why i think we should be able to dowload it for free on internet, this new GTA SA, because some countries doesn't has the money to buy the game, for example, my gta sa right now, i dowloaded him from internet totally for free and i play MTA, that's really fair for poor people.

• Administrators

Having read a few replies in here I feel there's a bit of a misconception going around with Trilogy Multiplayer - while it's true some of our team members are invested in that project, it's not in any way affiliated with or a successor of Multi Theft Auto: San Andreas. These are two separate projects, but naturally many contributors of Multi Theft Auto have reached out to Botder and Patrik in helping them on thier Trilogy Multiplayer project with decades of experience.

You can find more on Trilogy Multiplayer at: https://trilogymp.com/

On 12/11/2021 at 20:21, Tut said:

... but naturally many contributors of Multi Theft Auto have reached out to Botder and Patrik in helping them on thier Trilogy Multiplayer project with decades of experience.

This opens up another dimension of MTA impact: the possible shift of focus - official MTA contributor's that it - away from MTA to this new MP project. While I do see many junction points between MTA and this new one, I hope that MTA will keep getting updates very long into the future, too! Just read the post from that guy above who possibly presented the potato PC argument. While I did hastily judge his argument, after longer consideration, I am not in the position to do it. Let's pray for the best!

Edited by The_GTA
  • 2 weeks later...
33 minutes ago, Woesshhh said:

Well, I've seen that there are other groups, that are working on a multiplayer mod for the 'GTA SA DE'. I hope that MTA will be the first. The others get bugged anyway. just like fivem. No one is better at it than the MTA Team.

I agree with your sentiment! And I like that you are stressing the possibility of "a successor of Multi Theft Auto: San Andreas" as Tut did point out. I hope that the experiences gained in any other MP project get put into perfect shape by the officially MTA-succeeding variant. I don't think MTA will have the first one but probably the best one in the long term.

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Woesshhh said:

What do you think of a discord server, where we can see the progress and post ideas? We can also use this to search for developers who might want to help.

I don't think that is a good idea at the moment. Just gonna leave it at that note.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...