suggestions for the MAP EDITOR

Guest |CE

heres some features I would really like to see in the Map editor:

- selection of multiple objects at once + duplicating

- custom made track pieces - Using bits of road and land from SA makes very messy maps, include some new geometry so that custom made tracks can be put together much more easily - have them snap together too?

- alternate checkpoints - so people can have a choice in the route they take, left or right, or by air/sea instead of by road. For example, you drive through the 3rd checkpoint, and there's 2 checkpoints ahead (both designated as the 4th checkpoint) - you drive through either one, they both disappear, and then you drive on to the 5th checkpoint.

- drop the mouse sensitivity in the map editor a bit :)

- the object/checkpoint draw distance in the map editor is very low for no reason (much lower than when actually playing the game), increase it please.

- a toolbar maybe? have a button that changes from using the 3D yellow light spot as a cursor to using the standard GUI cursor - so buttons can be clicked on a toolbar.

also (off topic):

a server side (or map specific?) option to disable car-car collision detections would be cool - it would be like a time trial racing mode that wouldn't be ruined by bad laggers/pingers.

good job with mta so far.

- selection of multiple objects at once + duplicating

This would be usefull.

- custom made track pieces - Using bits of road and land from SA makes very messy maps, include some new geometry so that custom made tracks can be put together much more easily - have them snap together too?

It qould be posible but a mod would be needed and everyone would need to have the same mod.

- alternate checkpoints - so people can have a choice in the route they take, left or right, or by air/sea instead of by road. For example, you drive through the 3rd checkpoint, and there's 2 checkpoints ahead (both designated as the 4th checkpoint) - you drive through either one, they both disappear, and then you drive on to the 5th checkpoint.

This is an GREAT idea!

drop the mouse sensitivity in the map editor a bit

Hmm... I don't find it to be a problem.

- the object/checkpoint draw distance in the map editor is very low for no reason (much lower than when actually playing the game), increase it please.

Is it? I didn't notice. :P

- a toolbar maybe? have a button that changes from using the 3D yellow light spot as a cursor to using the standard GUI cursor - so buttons can be clicked on a toolbar.

A mouse would be nice but everything else is good.

also (off topic):

a server side (or map specific?) option to disable car-car collision detections would be cool - it would be like a time trial racing mode that wouldn't be ruined by bad laggers/pingers.

Removing collision for race map would help ALOT with all kind of problems. :D (Best idea)

It qould be posible but a mod would be needed and everyone would need to have the same mod.

lol MTA IS a mod, just include the geometry with the next version of MTA :)

They added the 3D objects for repair/nitro/vehiclechange pickups.

i think adding some geometry shouldnt be too hard.

MTA has complete control over GTA SA, surely they could just hijack the loading sequence to include models/geometry from a separate MTA file.

The main problems they would have is actually making the custom geometry - I don't think they have a 3D designer on the team? Once it's been made it would then have to be put in a format that could be read by GTA SA.... Textures would have to be made too...

I don't know enough about that stuff to comment really.

I think to make working geometry with collision they need to be in the gta3.img(Has all models/collisions in it) a new IDE(to make gta know that extra models have need added) and IPL(where you model is in the world {optional}) file also.

But if they can make it to real files from a remote directory and work in game it would be nice.