How do i force 1.5.8 installer to run on Vista?

Gustone

Question

13 answers to this question

• Scripting Moderators

You can't,
from Compatibility FAQ:

Why couldn't you just stick to the older version of CEF then so that XP/Vista would be still supported? / What about releasing two versions of the mod? A regular one with newest CEF and a legacy one with the older CEF build that still works on XP/Vista?

Hey, but we actually do provide a legacy build for MTA:SA 1.5.7 for XP/Vista users with an older version of CEF components.

The problem with sticking with either of these options is that we would have to continue providing a version that is vulnerable to any present and future security exploits that exist in Chromium and are already widely used. We do not want to put our users at risk because of that. CEF developers themselves do not want to provide long-term security support for such a build either.

Nothing artificial about it. XP and Vista are holding back a significant amount of useful functionality that isn't compatible with either of them. Why should MTA support a platform that isn't even supported anymore by its creators?

11 hours ago, Megadreams said:

a significant amount of useful functionality that isn't compatible with either of them

well afaik the newer versions arent supported because they cant run the new CEF, but my vista runs new chromium (72.0.3626.121) that contains new CEF perfectly fine, so what's the reason to not let me install it?

On 01/07/2021 at 03:08, Gustone said:

well afaik the newer versions arent supported because they cant run the new CEF, but my vista runs new chromium (72.0.3626.121) that contains new CEF perfectly fine, so what's the reason to not let me install it?

I'll let you in on a secret. That is not the latest Chromium version. Not even close.

Edited by Megadreams
  • Administrators

As far as I'm aware the latest XP/Vista builds use 76.1.13+gf19c584+chromium-76.0.3809.132

The latest 1.5.8 nightly builds use 91.1.12+gcf0c26a+chromium-91.0.4472.101

XP and Vista are blockers to many potential updates and new features, your OS is 15 years old. Consider upgrading if you want to have access to modern software and features.

Edited by Lpsd

This person is running something known as "extended kernel" and according to the person who pulled this off there's even more steps. This seems like it would get highly unstable in no time and over time support will drop further and further in Chromium (and CEF itself). Perhaps you can still run Multi Theft Auto in a similar way but I highly discourage it.

Helps to read further than just accepting the first thing you see as helping your case even if it doesn't.

And while it might be it's not something Multi Theft Auto should focus on supporting. There's a reason why it exists. Windows XP and Vista are simply not supported anymore by Microsoft and you should have updated already. If not, while fully up to you, you simply have to face the consequences of software no longer being compatible. This project won't be held back by such outdated technology.

2 hours ago, Megadreams said:

And while it might be it's not something Multi Theft Auto should focus on supporting. There's a reason why it exists. Windows XP and Vista are simply not supported anymore by Microsoft and you should have updated already. If not, while fully up to you, you simply have to face the consequences of software no longer being compatible. This project won't be held back by such outdated technology.

While I agree with most of that,

You could or at least add a "proceed anyway" option

?

• Administrators

It's not that simple, we haven't just removed support for XP and Vista from the latest builds because we are elitist for Windows 10, or the latest OS.

Also, who said the only blockers to XP and Vista is CEF? There's so much more to consider.