Seriously confused about the whole MTA thing... plz explain

Fat Russian

Question

Right this is my story. About a year and a half back I bought SA for PS2 when it came out. I completed it 100% in a few weeks, and then my PS2 broke a few days later :( (still not fixed, btw). So I've been thinkin bout getting SA for PC because I really like the game. After I read the article about the whole 'MTA' thing, I definately thought that I would get it. But after I found out all the answers to my questions.

1. What are the capabilities of MTA just now? (What can u do?)

2. What stuff will be definately added in the future?

If someone could explain, that'be great. Thanx.

Confused, :?

The Fat Russian

EDIT: Dam it, I just realized that I posted this in the wrong forum. Somebody move this topic to an apropriate forum plz. I dunno why I posted it here...

15 answers to this question

I've read up some stuff, its a bit more clear now. Still more questions hurt my head... owwwww. Map editor...

What are the capabilities of the map editor, and will there be a patch for the map editor/new map editor when DM comes out?

EDIT: OMG, they found out my gender... yes, I am an unknown. *cries*

1) MTA:SA as it is today is just racing (only vehicles, no running etc.), in the form of doing your best to take every checkpoint until the finish. There are also maps where the creator has not created any checkpoints at all, if there is respawn then it's a freeroam map where people do pretty much what they want. On freeroam maps you can't win, just have fun playing around. There are those without checkpoints and respawn, where the only way to win is to kill everyone else, by bashing them, pushing them into water, etc. these maps are usually DD maps. (Destruction Derby)

You never leave the vehicle, but It's still really fun, thanks to the map editor there are great possibilites for new ideas, and playing styles.

2) The MTA devs are working on the Deathmatch client, where you will be able to walk around, shoot others, get into vehicles etc. This information is also available on the main page.

Check out the videos too, they show pretty much what is possible with the MTA race client.

GTA:SA is built up by models, the whole of san andreas is split into models. Jumps, houses, bridges, roads etc.

The map editor let's you place duplicates of these models anywhere you want in san andreas (you can't remove a house that is in singleplayer).

So for instance you if you decide you want to make a race map, and start placing some checkpoints and realize "I want to jump over that building", then you can just go use the menu on top of the screen to find a jump model, and place it in front of the house so that you can jump over it.

There's some documentation on the map editor, just let me find it. Will problably clear some questions.

^^^ Thanx for moving ^^^^

Two more questions, hopefully the last.

1. How do u select which car u r in, where ur respawn point is and what u look like?

2. How do u select what map ur using and who is playing with you on the same map?

1. You can't, it depends on the map configuration, you dont choose where you respawn (and respawning may not be enabled) and everyone looks the same.

2. You don't, everyone joins the server they want (there are over 100 servers).

You can create your own server and tell your friends to join, that could work.

2. How do u select what map ur using and who is playing with you on the same map?

People can vote for the map that they want to play on.

I'd recommend getting GTA:SA for PC anyway, as the graphics are a LOT better and you can get PS2-style controllers for the PC. The only downside is a lack of co-op in the PC version, but the next major release of MTA:SA will feature deathmatch, as stated earlier. We also have our own map centre: http://center.mtasa.com where you can get an idea of some of the maps that are available.

For the spawning thing I mean like the Smugglers Run or something how do u choose which vehicle ur in (truck or hunter). Or are u just given a random vehicle out of all the spawn points?

Random. The starting point is defined in the map by the creator, and if you die during the race, (so long as the map has respawn enabled) you will respawn at the last checkpoint you hit before you died.

Not completely random. For x number of players, only the first x spawns are used. If there are 3 players, they will randomly spawn within the first three spawnpoints, not any others. I actually manipulated this in Smugglers Run by making a pattern of Smugglers to Hunters, so there is always a proper ratio.