I cant play MTA!!! When I got the pacth it gave me an error.

ScrewstonPlaya20

Question

The error was Only GTA:SA version 1.0 is supported! Is this because I downloaded the patch or because I have modded vehicles that I downloaded? I think it's the patch. But any if it is the patch then is there a way to delete it? Or do I have to re-install it? and if I do re-install it then will all my mod's be taken out of the game? I just care about my mod's. Maybe I can save all of them and then put them back into the game some how after I re-install the game? Thanks in advance.

23 answers to this question

Reinstall SA and then copy and paste your SA folder. You can then rename the one you are going to mod to whatever you want

Ok but where and what do i rename? I renamed my desktop icon but it doesnt seem to work. I understand that you have to rename it it but I just dont know what to rename!?!?!? Can you tell me how and where I need to go from my desktop to the thing that I need to rename? Please...

You'd rename the folder where you installed it.

ie. go to My Computer -> Local Disk ( C: ) -> Program Files -> Rockstar Games -> GTA San Andreas

[rename GTA San Andreas]

Omg I just renamed my GTA SA folder and now everytime i click on the icon it says trying to browse for gta_sa.exe. Did I do something wrong?

Ok, here's what you do:

1) Create a fresh install; default directory. You'll use this install for use with MTA:SA/singleplayer (no other mods).

2) Once installed, go to where it's installed, copy the directory 'GTA San Andreas' and paste. It will paste while calling the directory 'GTA San Andreas copy'. Rename to whatever you please. You'll use this with use of your other mods. The only way you can use this one is by creating a shortcut to 'gta_sa.exe' (for the copy; ie. on your desktop, etc.), since when you insert the CD/DVD it will only play with the fresh install (1).

Both installs should use the same registry values/paths and definitely will run with the CD/DVD. Let me know how this goes.

Omg I just renamed my GTA SA folder and now everytime i click on the icon it says trying to browse for gta_sa.exe. Did I do something wrong?
no, you just forgot to change the shortcut path aswell. so change the path or create a new one (go to your gta folder, right click gta_sa.exe and choose copy to desktop)

Ok i copied and pasted the GTA San Andreas folder and also the gta_sa.exe. onto my desktop and i renamed both the folder and gta_sa.exe. to GTA MODDED. So then I opened the dvd drive and then closed it to see if it worked and it did because it asked if I wanted to install the game. But I think I did something wrong because I renamed the copy to GTA MODDED and kept the install the normal way it came, now when I double click onto GTA MODDED it says "the application failed to start because vorbisfile.dll could not be found". Did I do it right but the opposit way it should have been done? :?

ScrewstonPlaya20: Plus, there's a difference between an EXE (executable) and a LNK (shortcut). What you did, was copy the EXE to the desktop, which wouldn't work because there are dependancies (files and folders) which depend on that EXE to function. You need to create a shortcut to the 'gta_sa.exe' file, not copy the EXE to the desktop.

becouse you shouldn't copy the whole map to your desktop, but only make a new schortcut of gta_sa.exe on your desktop, that's all. that's why he can't locate the dll's

So you are saying that all I need to do is make a copy of gta_sa.exe. to my desktop and that is it? But then do I need to change the name of the shorcut? So that it makes a copy?

No, leave the EXE where it is (in the copied folder). Just create a shortcut (ie. on your desktop) to the EXE in the copied folder. What you can do, so you will understand - right-click on the Desktop -> New -> Shortcut -> Browse to the copied folder and select 'gta_sa.exe'

If anyone can help me step by step in this process. My name on yahoo is [email protected] I dont have any idea what I am doing because I dont know and never done anything like this. People are telling me different things but I always end up doing something wrong. Or maybe any of you can tell me your name on yahoo then i'll just add you. If you dont have yahoo then my best bet would be AIM.