Is it even worth making a new gamemode

Alen141

So I've recently came back to MTA, nostalgia I guess, after cringing on my forum posts here, I was wondering maybe I should try and fulfill my childhood dream to have an mta server with my own gamemode, but I honestly don't even know if it's worth my time at this point.. So here I am asking a simple question.. Is it worth it?  :D

PS sorry if I posted in the wrong section

• Moderators
25 minutes ago, Alen141 said:

So here I am asking a simple question.. Is it worth it?

I only succeeded once. It takes a lot of time, unmeasurable...

• If it is a simple gamemode like [gamemodes]/[hay]/hay (except for the math...), it is more achieve able.
  • If you are talking about a RPG gamemode, you should rely more on community resources, else you need a lot of people to make it to a success.

The risks of not finishing the gamemode is very high in general. Keeping motivation is the hardest part... if you stop temporary, the risk of not finishing increases. So make sure to not have an exam in between, or a teammate that has exams...

24 minutes ago, Alen141 said:

PS sorry if I posted in the wrong section

I moved your topic to resources, since a gamemode is a resource from the very core.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, IIYAMA said:

I only succeeded once. It takes a lot of time, unmeasurable...

• If it is a simple gamemode like [gamemodes]/[hay]/hay (except for the math...), it is more achieve able.
  • If you are talking about a RPG gamemode, you should rely more on community resources, else you need a lot of people to make it to a success.

The risks of not finishing the gamemode is very high in general. Keeping motivation is the hardest part... if you stop temporary, the risk of not finishing increases. So make sure to not have an exam in between, or a teammate that has exams...

I moved your topic to resources, since a gamemode is a resource from the very core.

Hey! Thanks for the reply! Well, gamemode complexity really is no issue.. ( I already have an rpg template I made for fun, works really well, but I do not intend to make an rpg [that template was more of a way to learn MTA documentation again, since I didn't use lua nor MTA functions in a long time..] ) the thing I'm worried about is player base and interest in something new or at least bit different approach on old gamemodes :S..

• Like 1
  • Moderators
3 minutes ago, Alen141 said:

I'm worried about is player base and interest in something new or at least bit different approach on old gamemodes :S..

Unfortunately there are no guaranties that it will be a success.

All you can do is making sure that you bring a lot of people in to your project. That way you can validate your concept(s) before you are actually going to building it. And a lot of trial and error testing is important.

That being said, a lot of patiences until you got your concept and prototype-gamemode right is key here.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, IIYAMA said:

Unfortunately there are no guaranties that it will be a success.

All you can do is making sure that you bring a lot of people in to your project. That way you can validate your concept(s) before you are actually going to building it. And a lot of trial and error testing is important.

That being said, a lot of patiences until you got your concept and prototype-gamemode right is key here.

Thank you, I appreciate that!:)