How to get element from server side?

• Moderators
19 minutes ago, redditing said:

Can I send it using trigger client event? e.g. the variable responsible for the vehicle? and if so how can I do it so that I can understand how it works ...

All serverside elements are already available on clientside. The only problem is: "how to get the right one?" There are multi ways to get those, including triggerClientEvent as @Patrick said.

Server

local receiver

receiver = getRandomPlayer() -- a random player
receiver = root -- all players

triggerClientEvent(receiver, "eventName_SEND_THING_OVER", resourceRoot, element)

Client

addEvent("eventName_SEND_THING_OVER", true) -- enable the event: string eventName, boolean true = able to receive events from serverside

addEventHandler("eventName_SEND_THING_OVER", resourceRoot, -- add a handler, that will call the function when the event is triggered
function (element) 

end, false) -- disable propagation

There is also a method which I like to use to keep a dynamic list of my elements:

Server

local collectionElement = createElement("collection", "myVehicles")

for i=1, 10 do
	local vehicle = createVehicle(432, i * 10, 0, 50)
	setElementParent(vehicle, collectionElement) -- (Note: setElementParent, doesn't work across resources)
end

Client

function getMyVehicles (theType)
	local collectionElement = getElementByID("myVehicles")
	if collectionElement then
		return getElementChildren(collectionElement, theType) -- theType is optional, could be "vehicle"
	end
	return false
end

Edited by IIYAMA
  • Like 2
8 minutes ago, IIYAMA said:

All serverside elements are already available on clientside. The only problem is: "how to get the right one?" There are multi ways to get those, including triggerClientEvent as @Patrick said.

Server

local receiver

receiver = getRandomPlayer() -- a random player
receiver = root -- all players

triggerClientEvent(receiver, "eventName_SEND_THING_OVER", resourceRoot, element)

Client

addEvent("eventName_SEND_THING_OVER", true) -- enable the event: string eventName, boolean true = able to receive events from serverside

addEventHandler("eventName_SEND_THING_OVER", resourceRoot, -- add a handler, that will call the function when the event is triggered
function (element) 

end, false) -- disable propagation

There is also a method which I like to use to keep a dynamic list of my elements:

Server

local collectionElement = createElement("collection", "myVehicles")

for i=1, 10 do
	local vehicle = createVehicle(432, i * 10, 0, 50)
	setElementParent(vehicle, collectionElement) -- (Note: setElementParent, doesn't work across resources)
end

Client

function getMyVehicles (theType)
	local collectionElement = getElementByID("myVehicles")
	if collectionElement then
		return getElementChildren(collectionElement, theType) -- theType is optional, could be "vehicle"
	end
	return false
end

I need to send the element to the client, because I want to write some text "dxDrawTextOnElement" on this element, that's why I want to know what I need to do to return the element from the server to the client

• Moderators
1 minute ago, redditing said:

I need to send the element to the client, because I want to write some text "dxDrawTextOnElement" on this element, that's why I want to know what I need to do to return the element from the server to the client

• If it is a player, use Patrick his method.
  • If it is an object/ped/vehicle created by a single resource, stick with the second method.