MTA:SA Linux System / Bandwidth Requirements

Guest JonathonReinhart

Hello everyone, I currently run (on my friend's cable connection) a Mobile Web Proxy Server and a webserver which gets a small amount of traffic. It's currently running on a PII 350 w/ 384MB ram. I found out that he has a P4 2.4 GHz w/ 512ram machine that he was thinking about making into a windows-based MTA:SA server.

What a nice compromise it would make if we installed Linux (SuSE 10) on the faster machine, and put all 3 applications on it. Anyone see any problems with it? The proxy uses next to 0 resources at all, and the webserver does little, just a 'portal' for the mobile web and a little MySQL now and then for a couple blogs.

How much does MTA:SA use? It would probably be limited to 8 or 10 players for bandwidth purposes. I'm guessing this would be fine.

Anyone have any comments regardign using MTA on SuSE linux? I can write the /etc/init.d scripts, as I've had to do that with Perl Scripts that run daemons.

Great work MTA Team!

Jonathon - http://mweb.kicks-ass.net

I do see a problem if you dont have enough bandwith especially on the upload part.

You need to check how much upload you have running on that connection.

Goto a test site that you can run a bandwidth test an upload is the most important, and the download would be nice to know also.

I dont know where you live but try

http://www.testmy.net

http://www.pcpitstop.com

http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/

try all those sites and run the tests a few times each to get a good test.

You will need quite abit of upload speed to do all 3 of those things at once.

Just creating a mta server by itself wouldnt be a big problem but the more upload you have the more people you can hold on a server.

Check out my thread on bandwith requirements, I put it up the other night.

http://forum.mtavc.com/viewtopic.php?t=15909

If you have 256 Kbps upload which is kilobits per second upload then there is no way you can do all of that.

General bandwith requirements for a server

for a 4 person server you will need 128 Kbps (kilobits per second) upload,

6 person server 256 Kbps, 8 person server 384 Kbps,

Those numbers are for noone else using your internet connection at all what so ever. Just for a dedicated server. If you have other things running on the net you will have to lower the clients depending on what your doing.

*If you have the full Upload* Redid the bandwidth calculations because I was getting corrected...

128Kbps upload: 4 players

256Kbps upload: 6 players

384Kbps upload: 8 players

512Kbps upload 10 players

768Kbps upload: 12-14 players (14 would be absolute max)

The numbers above are better calculated.

If your on lan and for example have 256Kbps upload you could host a 6 person server + yourself on lan so =7 max as long as you are always in it.

if you dont always stay in the server leave it at 6 clients if you have 256Kbps upload.

Hope this helps!

Edited by Guest
  • MTA Team

The MTA server uses little resources as far as i know. But bandwith is indeed another problem.

Also Jrm20, there is an error in your calculations

for a 3 person server you will need 128 Kbps (kilobits per second) upload,

6 person server 256 Kbps, 9 person server 384 Kbps

The used upload bandwith does not increase in a linear way, but it increases exponantially.

Let's have a look at a worst case scenario. Everyone close together, doing all sorts of things that have to be synced. Every player sends out 2 kB (i'm gonna go with bytes, smaller numbers, and the bandwith i descirbe is in theory and not on practical measurements).

If there are 2 players in the server, the server receives 2 kB from each player and has to upload 2kb to each player (4kB in, 4 kB out)

Let's add a player. It receives 2kB from each player but has to send 4kB to each player now) (6 in, 12 out), if we add another player it would be 8 in and 24 out.

Off course that is the theory.

Im just giving them general information that will help them out on making a sever at home.

I know the bandwith that I calculated isnt in theory correct.

A normal person wont understand what you just typed below, so I just put it into terms that they could understand.

I know you can run 6 clients on 256Kbps (kilobits per second) upload as I have tested it. That is people from the internet connecting.

With 512Kbps upload you could host 12 clients max. You should not have any problems.

*If you have the full Upload* Redid the bandwidth calculations because I was getting corrected...

128Kbps upload: 4 players

256Kbps upload: 6 players

384Kbps upload: 8 players

512Kbps upload 10 players

768Kbps upload: 12-14 players (14 would be absolute max)

Im not really wrong, if someone had the full 512Kbps upload and noone else was using the connection its possible to hold 10 players.

Im not totally wrong because it would be alot easier to calculate bandwith for mta if they included an sv_maxrate command for running servers.

I did good calculations for mta not having a maxrate function included.

Alot of the time if you just tested the actual server, you would be surprised by the outcome. Sometimes you can get better results just by trial and error for a multiplayer server ran from home. These are just basic guidelines to help people out because I have seen some people with 128Kbps upload or lower thinking that they can hold a 20 man server....LOL. Now that is ridiculous. :lol: