[Blog] MTA: Race 1.1 announced (by ChrML)

Brophy

We began doing a little work on Race Mod 1.1 yesterday. I did dynamic respawning which is definable using the tags 'respawn' and 'respawntime' in the map file. The possible values are 'none' (for last man standing maps), 'timelimit' (for example respawn after 10 seconds) and 'waves' where players respawn in wave intervals at for example 30 seconds. The timelimit time or the wave intervals are definable using the 'respawntime' tag. If no 'respawn' tag is specified, it defaults to 'timelimit' on 30 seconds so old maps such as Destruction Derby and Freeroam will do respawning without any map update required.

The respawn position is the last hit checkpoint, or if none, one of the spawnpoints are chosen. I wouldn't recommend the respawn type "waves" for races as some players will have to wait longer than other players. I might also code some "Click to respawn" feature.

In 1.1, you can also specify a map duration. Maps with dynamic respawning won't end when all players are dead, because they'll respawn, though they will end after the time specified in the 'duration' tag. The value is specified in seconds (ie 300 seconds for 5 minutes), and can be 0 for infinite. As lots of server owners download maps from external sources such as our Community Center, there's also an upper limit you can define in the server config. It can also be 0 for infinite. If any maps exceed the limit specified in the server config, it will be limited to that value. For example if you specify 10 minutes in a map, but the server has 5 minutes specified in the server config, the limit used will be adjusted to 5 minutes. The time left on a map is displayed on all client screens.

Also, in version 1.1, the animations on remote players when they lean on bikes and pedalling works unlike the current release.

Please note that the release date is unpredictable, so please don't ask! :D

Good to hear work has begun on this.

it defaults to 'timelimit' on 30 seconds so old maps such as Destruction Derby and Freeroam will do respawning without any map update required.
So we need to edit all the old maps if we DON'T want respawn? (all those dm and last man standing maps) Seems a little illogical, perhaps default it to no respawn instead.

Could you make the respawn position map defined please? limiting it to the last chackpoint only will eliminate many possibilities (not to mention there are no checkpoints in most freeroam, DM and chase maps) Perhaps as an object that can be placed, respawning then defaults to it (or to the nearest if more than one is desired) I'm sure this won't involve a great deal more work at this stage and it'll open it up considerably.

EDIT: Please include a global vote-delay timer too.

The respawn position is the last hit checkpoint, or if none, one of the spawnpoints are chosen.

I think a Respawnpoint that looks like a checkpoint and creates an area to respwn in is needed.

If it just uses checkpoints it's going to be really annoying when you are driving through one and a car spawns right in the way!

I understand it needs to work with old maps without editting the maps, but how about the startline as default?

P.S. Great news on the work :D

hey,

another thing i hope the team adds into 1.1, is a separate browser for LAN servers, and mabye a favorttes box. this may sound like something to be put in a 1.3 release or something, but i think that for the sake of going to thousand person lan parties and hosting a server on the network, that it is absolutely necessary!!!!

Had another real easy to implement idea.

A new meta tag called . If the tag exists, the text in it is shown to the players before the race. This allows you to give instructions for maps that are a little different.

For example, I have a map called The Presidents Lap Dance where I've had to create huge messages out of hay bails to tell the tanks to protect the limos and the helicopters to kill the limo.

dont forget the syncing of the auto locking of the hydras plz :)

:mrgreen::tomcat:

please FORGET syncing the auto locking of the hydras please

it WILL ruin a good game

please tell me how in the world MTA SA would be ANY fun with 32 heat seaking missiles going towards you while your still taking off

[some ranting omitted bout n00bs.. imagine it being here]

please tell me how in the world MTA SA would be ANY fun with 32 heat seaking missiles going towards you while your still taking off

I guess you've never just circled the army base avoiding ground-to-air and air-to-air missiles at the same time? I find it hilarious fun.

please FORGET syncing the auto locking of the hydras please

it WILL ruin a good game

you can allso be hit with non-seeking missiles when taking off so that isn't a seeking problem. and it's easy to evade heat seaking missiles when you are @ full speed.

nowadays when a hydra map loads we are just flying around and somethimes we hit each other... wow... :?

I guess you've never just circled the army base avoiding ground-to-air and air-to-air missiles at the same time? I find it hilarious fun.

yes .. but then you have 1 - 4 missiles behind you ... not 32

and i agree a pure hydra dogfight takes a bit longer than possible with locking missiles .. but thats still a bull**** arguement

just learn to shoot better or die trying :P

the problem isnt just hydra to hydra fights ... but think about all the other vehicles that cannot evade the locked missiles

its just a plain wrong idea to put it in .. but that might be my view

you can allso be hit with non-seeking missiles when taking off so that isn't a seeking problem

correct , a map spawnpoint flaw imho