[Blog] On-foot synchronization by ChrML

Blokker_1999

• MTA Team

We did some work on footsync today and yesterday, and finally we did some testing within the team with 3 players today. We've created a new gamemode called 'deathmatch' for server and client with a pretty well designed framework. At the moment, it's not decided what kind of 'deathmatch' we will make officially, but it's very likely it will have support for our current map system built on what we've learned from "race" before and after release. Here are some screenshots from our initial test:

1 | 2 | 3 | 4

What's synced? At the moment all animations work pretty well (including walking, running, crouching, climbing, punching ... ), though they aren't explicitly synced yet, means there's no 100% guarantee it looks exactly the same at both sides. Improving this, and weapon sync is something we will work from now on, so watch this space!

Edit by Oli: We've just tried swimming and this seems to work fine too :)I've added another screenshot showing this.

I have to admit, I'm quite disapointed that this is all you've managed to achieve after 8 months of 'hard' work and all the hype. I'm not knocking MTA or comparing it to any other mod, but from all the hype you guys generated i was expecting a bit more.

What are you talking about? The last 8 months hard work was on the race mod. So this isn't the only thing they've done in the last 8 months...?

Well what are the things that make it so disappointing for you? I don't see how it was so much "hype" when people were constantly updated on what was being worked on and how things were going in pristine detail.

A list of top annoyances has been made and they'll work on resolving them. This isn't the first time a release has had some issues that needed a patch or two to improve it greatly.

Edited by Guest

that was all we've accomplished in 2 Days...

we hadn't even considered footsync until recently.

if you'd like to see what we've accomplished you're welcome to try out our race mod and map editor, unfortunately you can't see the underlying structure of everything else we've been building.

Kent

Aye paul...

Sometimes I don't understand why some of these SAMP guys constantly state how much they dislike MTA, yet hang around MTA's forums constantly monitoring every move, bashing every little news of progress that comes, along with the eventual releases. Whats the point? Oh wait the answers so simple: they must just be hyping SAMP and trying to poison people into thinking MTA has done them wrong... its like your a sports heckler in the stands that just wont stop and has overstayed his welcome.

Not all SAMP people in this forum are defined by this so don't start the hate rally just yet. I think there are some though, and they know who they are.

I have to admit, I'm quite disapointed that this is all you've managed to achieve after 8 months of 'hard' work and all the hype. I'm not knocking MTA or comparing it to any other mod, but from all the hype you guys generated i was expecting a bit more.

You are surprised now that the mod is racing only, when it has been announced since day one? If any hype was generated, it was about the race mod.. :roll:

I don't see how it was so much "hype" when people were constantly updated on what was being worked on and how things were going in pristine detail.

If you want an example of the hype, how about how several times several of the 'team' stated that what they were working on was a revolution in multiplayer gaming.

If you want me to be frank, i'd expect 8 months of 'hard work' to churn out something a little better than a novelty. I have to admit this racing mod did bring a new edge to SA but in doing so it completely lost the meaning of GTA. And considering the whole reason it was stated that they were working on a racing mod first was to get it perfectly bug freeso they could work on the easyer stuff like foot sync later, what they've released is very disapointing, because it's far from bug free. It crashed atleast twice in the first hour of playing, warping cars does not represent good sync, and as for performance it's appauling. I could be doing top speed on a straight in a perfectly undamaged car, and watch sombody with exactly the same car without nitro come up behind me and speed off in to the distance, the skill argument does not apply because it doesn't take skill to hold down the forward button. At the start of most 'races' even if you start at the front with nothing blocking you people behind you will pass you the moment the race starts, in a large server most maps are spent by the magority of people watching 2 or 3 lucky players drive freely to the end or just go around aimlessly exploring the city. In alot of maps people get mangled up in the first or second checkpoint and either have to wait there for a good half a min waiting for their upturned car to explode or die instantly trying to get away from the carnage because one car explodes and starts off a chain reaction. The fps on parts of most maps is quite appauling, i get almost no slowdown atall runing SA in 1600x1200 on my 6600gt in single player however even in 1024x768 in MTA it slows to well below 20fps. And as for the actual racing, there's usualy no competition because who wins is down to whoever's lucky enough to not get tangled up in the carnage at the start and whoever hapens to have the best performance. Performance issues create a large disadvantage and that's not fun because it removes any effect skill has. After all that you're pretty much left with a game where you have the choice between driving around aimlessly for a few mins or watching people warp around aimlessly for a painfully boring few mins. And as far as im awear with the default settings on the server voting to change map is monopolised by the 1 or 2 players that dont want to change map, which leaves the choice of either spending most of your time being bored to death or quiting. And i havent even begun to scrape the surface when it comes to random (somtimes critical) objects simply disapearing from the map, and the large abundance of poorly designed maps that seem to have random inapropriate objects like buildings poking up in the road and badly laid 'roads' or completely inapropriate vehicle choices for critical parts of the map, for example a boat on land at the first checkpoint, which is so narow that half the server ends up stuck.

Having said all that, I really do have to wonder what exactly you've spent the past 8 months doing, especialy considering most (if not all) the core netcode is done by raknet, and the gui is done by CEGUI. There is indeed far more to making a GTA mod than just the netcode and gui, for example hooking certain routines, however it does make you wonder how much of it is actualy original code and how much of it is just bits of premade code hacked together.

If you hadn't spent so much time hyping the game up and working on nothing more than a novelty which you hyped as a revolution, then perhaps people wouldn't be disapointed and annoyed. As far as i can see the 'comunity' is split in to two groups, those who blindly worship MTA and it's developers and think it's the most amazing thing to ever exist, and those who see what a disapointment it is and how over hyped it has all been. I dont mean to be rude, but this is what hapens when you over-hype things.