Liberty City Online?

Now here is food for mind, now this isn't a suggestion for the next upgrade, but a thought of an outcome. I've been in the gaming business in one sort or another, basically on the opposite end of the spectrum the MTA Team is at, I've ran a text based MUD for 5 years, good amount of crowd. I'm sure MUDs are probably a joke to most video gamers. But that is totally besides the point of this thread.

Now as it is, basically a friend "hosts" a game, and other friends link up, and play. But what about setting it up so people would per say connect to an always running GTA3 Server. Basically a liberty city that was always online. Then people could link up to the server, meet friends, play, basically the idea of Everkrak, and the other video online games. But ever since I played GTA3 (and of course, gta1/L/2), having the city online 24/7 with X number of people running about.....Its been a dream to see an online Libery City with nothing but total chaos from hundreds of living players blowing everything up. And as a quick thought, I think it could be done easily. Setup a stand alone Windows OS Server with GTA3 Installed

and listed as a server online. All you'd need is a way to recycle players in the game, without the loading and alt f12 thing.

And then slowly could mod different cities, so you could have a Regular Liberty City server, than one with modifications, like the Inter-City Highway, or Miss Liberty. You could organize each city, so everyone could load up certain graphics, cars, and such, so everyone online would have the same vehicles.

And I personally think with this kind of system, you could possibly turn the MTA System into a whole new level. This could possibly be already on the MTA's minds. But whatever the case, if this whole idea is possible, I'm going to be there. I'm partners with a hosting company for web pages, and online games, at the moment only text based linux games like MUDs. But with a little work, a server, and a static IP, this whole thing would work.

That's just my opinion, I could be wrong.

But there are ways of keeping the Evil Faceless Corperations from grabbing onto this system. MUDs are copyrighted so they can be ran, but cannot generate money for the owner. I've ran one for 5 years, 35 bucks a month, a profit of -2100. Somewhat small change, but still. The idea of it is based on using the work of MTA, but it would not generate money. It could be kept a free thing with the right copyrighting.

Of course per say this became popular, Rockstar would probably buy everyone out, which could be refused, but I don't know, I'd probably take the money since we all gotta make a living. But even so, it would be fun.

a mud is text based no? - something like this is going to require a lot of server power (like a network the size of a building) so i doubt that the MTA team could pull this off unless someone here has $5mill to blow =)

well, your thinking of a momrpg.. I think thats the name but add like 3 more m's to it :) it would require a few server, hell you could have a country, screw town! everyserver is a town!and inside a town there'd be a clan a "main gang" and what ever, it'd be awsome! but yes, to do thius, over time you'd need more servers then you could get... unless you got a supercomputer or 2, then think of the possibilitys!! but yeah that'd be awsome!

MMORPGs, which basically is another name for those evil and stupid games like Everkrak, and Ultima Online, etc.

MUDs or Multi-User-Dungeons are totally texted based, played through client programs designed for its game play.

As for server power, it would be 1 or possibly 2 GTAs running on a server, probably only one though. And as for the network, well, MTA says you can have 2 to 30 people at a time multiplaying, so I mean if a server cannot handle 30 people playing, then the idea doesn't work. A super computer would only be needed if you created a massive online enviroment where hundreds of people could login to the same place. And even so, I wouldn't image GTA Multiplaying would eat that much bandwidth. Of course its going to be a higher bandwidth eater than your web browser, etc etc (I won't compare muds, as I said, they are 10 year old technology, the 14.4k modem didn't excist when muds were born, but they are still seen as bandwidth hogs by most servers since its a constant input/output system).

And if a hosting server cannot support 30 players, that would mean no one could support that amount of players with broadband.

But the idea for the moment would be to maybe attempt this idea. I mean there is no need for one person to control all the GTA Online Servers, that is how faceless corperations are born. Basically for a GTA server, you would go rent yourself a server, and run one yourself, an independant operation.

And for the MTA team, this whole idea really has nothing to do with MTA, meaning they would not need to specially code and create something in the MTA Prog, they would just need to continue their developments and advancements, as they do now.

This idea was just something I thought of last night. Basically I have the idea and the easy access to get a server for this. But as any idea and or project, there needs to be people who know how to code and work the GTA System, and of course, money.

You've heard of KaZaa right? A huge p2p network. It has the power of thousands of added broadband connections, several gigabits (maybe even a terrabit) of bandwidth is there. Now if this was p2p, or some equivalent, maybe 1 server supported 3 users, another supported 6, another only 2, but they would be the supernodes in a kazaa type network. And as I remember, FasTrac was selling the software they used to run the huge kazaa network. With a correctly setup system, an auto-fixing Liberty City Online would be achevible.

*SLAP*

"Wha, What Happened?"

"Beavis, you were talking all stupid"

"Oh, Thanks, Heh heh heh"

Well, I will state right off I keep saying "This isn't for the MTA Guys", the only involvement they would have is the development of MTA itself.

I'm talking me, myself and I, and anyone else who could possibly be interested in developing such a thing.

I'm very curious now how much bandwidth the MTA uses, compared to everything else. I'm not talking about setting up some sparking smoking server in my closet hooked up to a 14.4k modem, I'm talking about a professional server hooked up to commerical T1 and T3 lines.

I don't know, everyone seems so concern over the bandwidth, which a server I'm talking about doesn't have a limiter, since I own it.

um.. it would be too hard to do it by yourself. if .03 still uses alt-f12 (i seriuosly dought that it wont) but you could just leave your pc with a broadband connection on, start as server, and give your self invinciblity. then in the backround, you could program a simple vb program that sends the Alt-F12 event ever 5 minutes. that way, once you connect you just have to wait five mins to play.. if you hit escape and quit, then it leaves your gap to be filled by the next player.. i dont think it will be that easy in .03 tho. that would be sweet tho. espically if you could expand it past 30. there would be no need for taffic or ped, all the cars and people you'd see would be real players..

on a tehinical note:

its possible to create and array of winsocks (connection in which mta uses) so if it were possible to resize the buffer through vb code, then the only limit of the number of players is ram that pc has, right? if you could have somthing like that running on 1GB ram, T1 connection, (yay t1) and have it special so that it does not sync all the players, just the ones in the donut ("bubble" as mentioned in prievious posts) then it would be possible. still T1 = uber expensive

hi

ive thought of the same thing, here are the facts

the best way to pull it off would be to eliminate realtime battle effects

the game would be totaly changed, more like an RPG without action

random battles.... .............................yes

magic (ice, fire, wind, earth, water).... yes

stats.................................................yes

And for the 'ever changing world' aspect of it, we would need more dissasemblers and hackers to make better editors (map, model, image, and especially mission editors). With the current tools, development will be mighty slow and this 'crime online' thing will shoot right past us

transferring map data...................yes

saving and loading in game data... not sure (ironicaly, that would be the most important thing)

dedicated server.......................... who's dedicated without pay

lol headfonez - your mmorpg would be great =) - rpg without action =) - why are people playing again?

magical attacks for criminals? - that could be interesting =)

stats, lets see

• bribery 20
    extortion 18
    murder 10
    pickpocketing 5
    Robbery (pickpocket prerequisite) 25
    STR 30
    VIT 20
    Accuracy 30

saving and loading, hmm - a game without it means everyone never gets past lv5 unless they keep their conenction going all night - nice! =)

1) RPG's need to die

2) RPG's need to die

3) Did i mention that RPG's need to die?

4) Burn all RPG's

5) GTA3:MTA:RPG = Worst Idea Ever

6) Hmm.. I think RPG's need to die

7) BTW: RPG's need to die

8) You prolbably got my point long long ago.

neway: so what is your idea? you just walk around and random two players fight?

taking the best game ever, GTA3, and making it the worst genre ever, sounds, well, umm.. nvm

personally i cant stand rpgs. they make me sick. sry if i offended you by making fun of your idea.

Im up to help, im only a stoopid kid who dosnt know anything though. Well I do know what people like. Does that count? Any way yeah basicaly all the gta3mta people would have to do is make it so that there could be more than 30 people. One thing you would need is to slightly slow the action down. I mean people arnt going to step 1cm onto the footpath and be hit by some crazy guy where all his buddies just run people down for fun.. hehe that would be funny.

I like this idea very much, I think it would be loads of fun.

No more AI, just real people causing havoc at all time. The police would be on the streets 24/7 I think, the air filled with police helicopters (no more weather needed) and walking on the street would be very unsafe with all the bullets flying around. ;) ;) ;)

Okay serious now, I do think it's a good idea, but there is one big problem to solve before anything else. How to get the money to get dedicated servers, one certainly won't be enough to give all the players a map to play on, liberty city is not that large. But isn't this the same with shooters? Most shooters you connect to a server right? I don't know though, I never play shooters, I'm really bad in fraggin. :oops::lol:

probably said this before, but i cant see how this would work considering liberty city is only so big!

MMORPG's need to always be expanding, GTA3 isnt really the game for it, a whole new game is needed for this to work!

its called a dedicated server, usually dedicated servers can handle more players and use less bandwidth then server hosted by someone playing in the game

the dedicated host would be just a computer hooked up to a broadband or t1, t3 connection... the host would not have a character and in later versions (not necessarily .3) you wont have to push f12 etc. to let people join

some people i know work in an office that has a t1 connection and just host servers for different games for FREE off of that, just because its a t1 doesnt mean it costs the host money... blah blah

even a dedicated server on a lan with dual processors and two gigs of ram couldnt hold a game like this. not the way they are describing it. Where there are no peds, but a whole b unch of people (probably arround a thousand...easily). mayb in a few years...but now..no..sorry

Ok, well first of all I am going to state for the fact I didn't say lets me a MMORPG or whatever that term you people are using. I am a writer and a roleplayer, and I can see the logic in roleplaying with GTA, but to make an online game out of it.....I mean I run an Online Text RPG, but RPG and GTA do not mix. If people wish to do so, hey, more power to ya. Basically the only thing I'd want to see "RP" like, would be lots and lots of player created gangs.

As I said, I like roleplaying, but the whole idea of a Liberty City Online was the pure fact it would be nothing but total chaos, explosions going off, cars burning, windows exploding, you know, the things that make you smile.

1) RPG's need to die

2) RPG's need to die

3) Did i mention that RPG's need to die?

4) Burn all RPG's

5) GTA3:MTA:RPG = Worst Idea Ever

6) Hmm.. I think RPG's need to die

7) BTW: RPG's need to die

8) You prolbably got my point long long ago.

*cough* loser *cough*

RPG's are the best types of game, if u cant beat a final fasntasy, there is something wrong, and if u think ff sucks, i believe the ff fans outnumber u

its the "stupid" people who "dont understand" and see no point to an rpg who dont like em, there just to sophisticated for an idiot to play

Come one drdre, some people just don't like rpg's, some do. Ofcourse it's stupid to say they should die. But I think saying only stupid people don't like rpg's is rubbish also. You can't argue about taste. :)