PunkBuster (1.3) - cheat/hack detection script

Fayte

PunkBuster 1.3 has been released, grab it from:

http://xyz-host.com/pb/PunkBuster1.3.zip

Please upgrade if you have a lower version. 1.3 contains a fix for a major annoying bug concerning the health hack detection.

Please take time to read the readme, I will not explain it all here, but basically, many new commands and features are now added and with the advice from many people in the community I have remodelled the script and hopefully now it will be a lot of use to server admins.

For those who don't know- PunkBuster is a cheat/hack detection script for MTA:mA:GRS which stops 99% of MTA cheaters, however it has been known to kick innocent people in some circumstances. (However, this can now be turned off, see the readme for more info.) It is probably the best publically avaliable cheat prevention script out there at the moment.

Edited by Guest

I'm afraid scripts like this will be of no use in MTA, the fact is the checks aren't full-proof, and MTA is a client-sided game.

eg:

The health check - someone could have an incredibly slow game or connection and it might take them longer than 1 second to lose the health, or they could pickup health just as you check..

Jetpacking - I don't know how high you've put the check, but someone could jump out of a heli, or be standing on a tall building.

Flying Cars - with 0.5 there are alot of issues with cars, you could be in a heli flying along, and the server may recognise it as a car or bike.

Speed Hacks - there are hundred of warp-points in VC, someone could just be using them, or they might have a bad connection, and seem to warp along way in a short time.

...i would imagine people will be getting kicked left, right and center.

Well it's actually worked amazingly well on the 2 servers I have tested it on...the health check is automatic - as soon as you spawn for the first time, it runs.

Jetpacking, again it is set to a height which is almost impossible to reach without the use of hacks.

Flying cars - it ignores all helicopters, and I have never seen MTA mess up with cars :?

All in all it works fine where I've tested it, in quite a crowded server, and then in a less crowded server.

However, jumping out of helicopters that are quite high up, that will probably kick you. For the next version hopefully I can take the Z axis out, so that up/down movement is ignored.

and I have never seen MTA mess up with cars :?

Do you play MTA? :lol:

It's a good script, but the instability of sync in MTA would cause alot of kicks for people who aren't cheating :(

I've even seen Aeron's "cheat/bot protection" kick and ban people for no reason.

...even a simple timeout/reconnect with MTA:mA will cause alot of kicks because of the huge change in data recieved (people being in different places).

...even a simple timeout/reconnect with MTA:mA will cause alot of kicks because of the huge change in data recieved (people being in different places).

Thanks for pointing that out! Fixed in version 1.1 - now the script will automatically stop all the detection timers when MTA:mA connects, to fix this problem.

The fact is, it solves more problems than it creates, so I think it's a must-have for server owners with cheater problems.

http://fayte.digiwire.org/pb/PunkBuster-1.1.zip

Well it's actually worked amazingly well on the 2 servers I have tested it on...the health check is automatic - as soon as you spawn for the first time, it runs.

Jetpacking, again it is set to a height which is almost impossible to reach without the use of hacks.

Flying cars - it ignores all helicopters, and I have never seen MTA mess up with cars :?

Have you really well tested it on a 26p full, busy server? Cause i cant imagine it will still run because of mircs limited resources.

All in all it works fine where I've tested it, in quite a crowded server, and then in a less crowded server.

However, jumping out of helicopters that are quite high up, that will probably kick you. For the next version hopefully I can take the Z axis out, so that up/down movement is ignored.

These things have been programmed before, but due to mirc / mta issues they are turned off (even in mtama itself)

If you're trying to build it in mIRC: please stop wasting time. Build a server-side c(++) program, that is fast enough to check everything or just wait for blue. mICR script just sux :)

Aeron, why don't you do it then, if you're so amazingly wonderful? It's working well on the server I have it on.

Leave cheater detection to the MTA Team? Don't make me laugh! How many cheaters do we have, using SCM mods and whatever else? A hell of a lot. Someone else has to do it if they won't.

At least I was trying to do something proactive about it, but if the community don't want to hear about it, then that's too bad.

Aeron, why don't you do it then, if you're so amazingly wonderful? It's working well on the server I have it on.

Leave cheater detection to the MTA Team? Don't make me laugh! How many cheaters do we have, using SCM mods and whatever else? A hell of a lot. Someone else has to do it if they won't.

At least I was trying to do something proactive about it, but if the community don't want to hear about it, then that's too bad.

Health-detection ain't possible cause:

Health pick up.

Sailor regeneration.

'Pausing'.

Driving in the car.

Angry players after slapping them

Jetpack-detection aint possible cause:

You got a height map of whole Vice City and Liberty City?

Stadiums are on diffrent hight

Speed-detection aint posible cause:

Warping everywhere

Spawn-select

Speed hacking is for a moment of 2 or 3 seconds, You want to check every player every 1 second? (I think you need a 60GHz processor to also work with it)

It really hurts me to see people who try to help out mta just get a foot in the butt all the time either by aeron ( who thinks he is god ) Very bad dont ever think u know everything cause no one does. I seen so many people say bad things about what fayte tried to do and some other people also with scripts to stop hacking but no one (especially the mta team ) appreciates them at all . i see no thanks for them anywhere just more and more and more abusive comments. i know that Killer , and not Fayte has tried to get rid of Hackers or glitchers but instead of helping them out everyone just posts bad things. Now Killer has gone to extreme and banned some weapons to be used which are main sources of glitches but until something is done about the glitches by mta makers no one can get rid of all the glitches and hacks. so please appreciate what many people are doing to get rid of present glitches and limitations of MTA instead of posting crap about what they try to do. And fayte no use wasting ur time here dude seriously no one will understand what u trying to do, just keep all ur ideas and scripts to urself its waste of time posting them here.

fayte, you did a good job, but it's useless to make an anti-cheat script for MTA 0.5, it's just too buggy you see. besides i think it's very difficult to make an anti-cheat protection, if you don't have access to the mod's source(in other words, if you're not a teammember).

i don't really know what program languages you work with(next to the ones you used for your script), but you could try to join another multiplayer mod team( SA -MP has a large team, though you can always try to ask if you can assist with anti-cheat protection; GTAT is also an option if you're skilled with Delphi). and don't mind Aeron, he's just trying to be funny :wink:

and don't mind Aeron, he's just trying to be funny :wink:

I doubt that part i think he is little jealous if someone comes up with some idea he tries to usually abuse them and act smart he should not do that. I dont see any funny part in any of aerons posts.

Leave bot/cheater detection to the MTA-team or me

Don't put someone down just for trying to help, thats the most selfish low-character thing I've ever seen. There are other IRC scripters out there whether your jelous little ass likes it or not.

Aeron's right though, if there was a good, accurate way of detecting things like this, it would be in MTA:mA.

No one was "putting him down", just trying to explain to people who might download and use it that it's very inaccurate.

No one was "putting him down", just trying to explain to people who might download and use it that it's very inaccurate.

well Aeron didn't give a respectful reply now did he? he was making a disrespectful and very arrogant(sure if you can do it better than fatye, then do it!) joke. that's why there were such reply's as mine and jacob's.

well, that's Aeron

anyway, to sum up what most people are saying:

it's great that you tried to make this and that it (partly) works, but the problem is that no script can eb accurate enough to handle with things like this, unless you have a pc from the next century

Well i'm sorry if my post was a little 'hard', but i already tryed those things.. I have almost every bot thats out now and they work around with the client, which is impossible to check. Then the only factor you can check is the 'player information' or just say the 10-packet. And my MTA:mA isn't the efficient way to check those.. (Check the CPU when Admin+ is enabled which detects spawning)

fatye it's not that i try to break you down. it's just impossible with the current core and program. [MTA:mA 4.0 might]

Fayte very good done man even though i haven't tryed it :P

Aeron who are you to say he should leave it up to you or mta team? maybe he's a good coder so it doesen't mean couse you think your the best coder in SCM you deside if we should have a Punk Buster. I think it's up to the mta team not you who should code and what should be done.

erm ok this is starting to get a bit out of hand.

Fayte: I think your efforts arn't such a bad thing, if they work to a certain extent then do what you will. Oh and don't mind Aeron, he just has a few problems expressing himself... how shall i say... politely ;)

Personally i don't think any decent cheat detection will ever work on this core, but people are welcome to get as close as they can.

Luckily this type of thing will be much easier to detect server side in MTA:BLUE, so at least there is that to look forward to :)

PS: Blade1941 - its mIRC Scripting, not SCM, just so you know.. SCM is the scripting that the GTA engine uses in-game.. for missions etc.