Modellers know how time consuming setting up custom maps is. This tool lets modellers generate .map file automatically along with meta.xml and basic Lua script which replaces models for them (no texture support though since some custom maps only use 1 .txd file and some maps use more).
Exporting maps from 3DS Max looked as follows:
- export each part (model) of the map
- export collision for them all
- make a Lua script to replace models (not every modeller knows how to do it)
- make a map file with Map Editor (it may take some time to align all the models to look seamless)
- make a meta.xml with all models included in it (<file/>)
With this script, the process changes to:
- export COL files for all your models
- select all map models in 3DS Max that should be included in map file (make sure they have materials applied!)
- hit "Export to .map" button (uncheck boxes if Lua script, meta.xml or DFF files are not needed, i.e. already exported)
How to install and run the script:
Just extract the MapExporter.ms file from MapExporter.zip to <3ds max>\Scripts\(Startup) (you don't have to extract it to Startup folder unless you want the script to be started with 3DS Max).
(If you haven't installed it to \Startup folder, keep reading)
Run the script from 3DS Max, "MAXScript -> Run script..." (find the MapExporter.ms script)
Once the script is running, you should notice new rollout in Utilities tab "50p's MTA:SA Scripts".
How to use:
Select all the models you want to be exported to .map file (optionally .lua script, meta.xml and DFF models), check/uncheck the appropriate boxes and hit "Export to .map" button.
Then you will be asked where to save the map file.
Facts to remember:
- all the files are recreated every time you export the .map, so if you have created meta.xml or <map name>.lua file already, they will be overwritten every time you export your map
- If you generate Lua script, the models which will be replaced by the script start from model ID 4000+
- .lua file name is the same as .map file name
- .lua and meta.xml files are created in the same directory as the .map file
- .col files should be placed in the same directory as the .dff files (which is (exported map folder)\map\ )
Any questions, suggestions or bug reports please post in this topic. Thank you.
NOTE: This script doesn't export .dff nor .col files. For that, you still need to use KAM's or daniska's scripts. My script generates .map, .lua and meta.xml files only to speed up map/resource creation.
Didn't really know where to release this script but I think this is the most suitable place.
- initial release
- fixed: typos in Lua and meta.xml generated files
- added: selecting map spawn position by clicking GTA map
- added: exporting models to DFF (KAM's scripts installed required!)